diy solar

diy solar

Charge 48V battery bank with 12V bus alternator?

dsc4152

Hi everyone!
I am remodeling a 2001 Thomas Freightliner FS-65 school bus into a full time adventure skoolie. I am nearly done gutting it.
I am looking at possibly hooking up my alternator to my battery bank as an additional charge source?
My current alternator is a DelcoRemy 8600308-28SI 12V/160Amp (125Amp @idle) which is currently hooked up to 2 12V lead acid batteries that power the bus itself.
I was wondering if it was possible to hook the alternator up to my planned 48V lithium battery bank?
My planned system is the Growatt 3kW 48V all-in-one system that Will suggests on the website. I haven't seen a review of his on that specifically but I've seen him comment that it's basically the same as the MPP but with better warranty, customer support, and manual. Planning on 1200w+ in solar panels on roof of bus, and 2 24V 100 Ah lithium batteries to start with, wired as 48V. I know I will eventually need more than 200Ah, but it's a start. I plan on plugging the system into my home's grid power while working on the bus.
The biggest thing I want out of this system is to be able to run a 15000 BTU Coleman Mach 15+ rooftop A/C unit- 115 VAC/ 60 Hz. (can safely operate at 104V-125V)
Cooling amps- high: 14.8
Running watts- standard: 156
Running watts- desert: 2025
Running watts- heat strip: 1800
Locked rotor amps: 61
I'm based out of Kentucky so it shouldn't have to work extremely hard.
I just thought the alternator hookup might be a good additional power source if possible, but can't decide if it's possible with with a 48V battery bank.
I know the 3kW 48V system might seem like overkill for a skoolie, but I want to be able to use it later on in life for a cabin. Let me know what you guys think.
Thank you all so much for your help, opinions, and expertise! This community is so great!
David
-2001 Thomas Freightliner FS-65 school bus
-CAT 3126 7.2L engine
-Allison 545 Automatic Transmission 4 speed
-DelcoRemy 8600308-28SI alternator

On second thought guys, I have spent my entire day reading through these boards and Will's book and I've come to the conclusion that a 48V system is just too dangerous and the parts too rare. I am going to go with the Growatt 3kw 24V system because it's less dangerous, with myself being new to electrical work. Also, I am SERIOUSLY considering this Big Battery rebuilt 3kW 24V power wall. I mean... 25 more amp hours and 2.5x cheaper than 2x 24V 50 Ah Battle Borns even with the $350 shipping... I mean maybe I'm missing something.
Settled on 12x 100W HQST solar panels to start.
Should I reconsider trying to hook up the alternator to this setup? Now that I think about it, I think I read specifically in Will's book that he didn't think it was a good idea.......? Instead of purchasing whatever crazy gadget I'd have to get to hook the alternator up, maybe I could just throw that money into more batteries and solar panels and other stuff for the bus.
Let me know what you guys think. Holy crap it's almost 4 am........

In general, OEM vehicle alternators do not do well on deep cycled batteries. Even if you figure out the voltage problem. You could change the alternator.

48v is no more dangerous or rare than a 24v system...
Yes, if you grab live connections you will get a shock... don’t do that.
48v is not rare to get stuff either.
But, if 3000W is all you need, then, 24V will do it fine.

The danger of 48v is doing things safely.

if you Always work with a SINGLE WIRE AT A TIME.

And you ALWAYS SHUT OFF POWER SOURCES before working with things.

there is no danger.

remember... BATTERIES AND SOLAR PANELS ARE ALWAYS ON! So, only work on one side at a time, and always use disconnects, or breakers. And ALWAYS work when they are off.

Back