diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller advice for RV

Renner

Hello I am new to solar and a bit confused when it comes to choosing a controller for my RV project.
I'm will be using 3 385w REC panels 48.6v, 10.07a each. Thinking to run them in series. Advice would be great and searching for a controller if really confusing for me as there are so many to choose from. Rv system is 12v, I plan on running 2 300ah lithium batteries 200a continuous charge/draw paired to my 2200w samlex evo-2212 inverter charger.

Or would it be better to run in parallel ?

Attachments

• 20d6b502-0d29-4830-b3e1-73f409495daf.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you are charging 12 volt batteries you will need a one hundred amp scc and depending upon the expected temperature the panels will be a capability of 150 to 200 volts. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KB6FMCX

The other option would be to use 3 individual charge controllers if you have the space. Or parallel the panels and use a lower voltage scc. Be sure you do not go over the voltage rating of the scc

I picked the Victron CC that met the specs of my RV PV
(330 watt, 70 Voc, 6A, 12 volt batteries)
Works great! Really like the BT access too.

Optimistically, your panels could produce 90 amps ( (385 * 3) / 12.8 ). In reality, probably not that much. Still, that's a lot of amps, but your batteries should be able to take that no sweat.

If you want to know the right size MPPT, use the Victron MPPT calculator:

If you are charging 12 volt batteries you will need a one hundred amp scc and depending upon the expected temperature the panels will be a capability of 150 to 200 volts. Something like this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07KB6FMCX

The other option would be to use 3 individual charge controllers if you have the space. Or parallel the panels and use a lower voltage scc. Be sure you do not go over the voltage rating of the scc
Thanks for the info actually didnt think of running separate ones either.

Thank you for the info. I'm in southern NM so we get alot of sun here. Just picked up a RV a few months ago and fixing it up. Getting solar installed on my home and they gave me a deal on the 3 panels so I figured that would be a great addition to the RV for some power so I don't have to rely on the generator when in remote locations. Thanks again.

Back