diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller dead need new one

Geokilroy

Getting my RV out for the season. Cheapo controller needs replaced. I have one panel on roof 165w and 18v. If I replace with a very large panel 250-400w but at up to 36v can I use a 100v 30a Victron controller and still get 12v out for my batteries? I have had one panel on the roof for over two years with no problem. Will the controller give me 12v output or do I need something else to go with it?

Victron MPPT 100/30 has voltage output range from 12V thru 48V. I, myself, use Victron 100/30 to support 12V batt and 24V batt system.

Getting my RV out for the season. Cheapo controller needs replaced. I have one panel on roof 165w and 18v. If I replace with a very large panel 250-400w but at up to 36v can I use a 100v 30a Victron controller and still get 12v out for my batteries? I have had one panel on the roof for over two years with no problem. Will the controller give me 12v output or do I need something else to go with it?
Yes you can use that and you will have headroom for further expansion if you want.

can I use a 100v 30a Victron controller and still get 12v out for my batteries?
When the battery is connected to the Victron controller it automatically configures itself for that battery voltage. You will have to select the battery type from the list of defaults or programme your own charge profile.
It will work with your existing panel or the new panel, there is nothing to set/adjust regarding the panels. When commissioning the controller connect the battery first then the solar panel/s

Mike

Thanks for your inputs. I just want to get a new controller but may upgrade the panel. No room for more panels. Just a little extra space for a larger panel. I was worried about the higher voltage from the panel.
Thanks....
George

Back