diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller - even more basic understanding needed

Marty4321

I am trying to understand how the charge controller works in conjunction with the battery and solar panel. Specifically, what is happening in various situations:

The MPPT charge controller and inverter that is shown in the attached drawing are using 30 watts of power.
1. Suppose that I am running during the day with plenty of sunshine. Would there be any current on Line B or would it all be on Line A?
2. Suppose that I have a load of 300 watts and I only have a 100-watt panel and it is 100% efficient (for the sake of discussion). Also, for simplicity assume that the batteries and solar panel are exactly 24 VDC. What current would I see on Line A and on Line B. Would I see 100/24 = 4.167 amps on Line A and 8.33 amps on Line B.
3. Suppose my battery voltage is low and I am in the state of charging the battery. Also, suppose I have a load of 30 watts. I would assume some of the power from the solar panel would be charging the battery and some would be powering the load. In that case, would I expect to see 100/24 = 4.167 amps on Line A. So would 30 watts of power go to the load from the solar panel and the remaining 70 watts of the solar panel go charge the battery? That is I would see 70/24 = 2.916 Amps going to the battery?
4. The last situation is obvious; that is if it is dark and the solar panel is not providing any power. In that case, if I was using 100 watts of power, there would be zero current on Lane A and 100/24 = 4.167 amps on Line B.

Attachments

• PhotoScan.jpg
    PhotoScan.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 13
In the limited amount of times I’ve turned my RV on, what you wrote the math seems correct. What I see though, is the power from the Charge Controller somewhat lags by a few seconds which is made up by the battery. Could be the profile of the charge controller. Also, once the batteries are charged and a 300 watt load is added, its like rolling the dice to see if the power will come from the panels or the battery, but mostly from the panels.

Back