diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller for shore power, generator AND alternator??

JosephBr108

Hi everyone!

Here's a brief layout of my RV solar system. I've also attached a picture of my wiring diagram. It's not perfect, but it is an accurate reflection of where I'm at so far.

A basic overview:
  • (4x) 375 watt solar panel array (total: 1,500 watt array)
  • 100 amp victron solar charge controller
  • 8x 3V 280AH batteries (wired in groups of four, making two 280AH 12V batteries to make a total 560AH 12V battery bank)
  • The RV is equipped with an Onan 4000 GenSet. Model #4BGEFA26100H / 120 AC / 33.3 Amps / Ph 1 / PF 1 / Hz 60 / kW 4 / RPM 1800 / Bat 12V
  • RV also has an alternator (type not sure at the moment)
Given this set up, do I need to place a charge controller between the converter and the positive bus bar to charge the batteries? This would be (I assume) a separate charge controller from the 100 amp Victron charge controller I have listed in the wiring diagram? If this is so, does anyone have recommendations for the type of charge controller I should use for this purpose?

You can also see in the wiring diagram that I have listed a charge controller on the positive line in between the alternator and the positive bus bar. I think the RV already has a charge controller going from the alternator to the battery that the alternator has charged historically, but I still need to verify. If I do need to place my own charge controller in between the alternator and the positive bus bar, do I need to place another one seperate from the converter to battery bank OR can I run both positive wires from the converter AND the alternator through the SAME (all in one) charger controller?

SIDE NOTE:

In addition (not my primary question for this post), given this set up what type of converter do you recommend for plugging into the grid and connecting to the listed generator.

Also, what type of inverter do you guys most recommend? I'm looking for at least a 2000 watt capacity inverter. I am trying to save money and I came across this one sold by harbor freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-...-modified-sine-wave-power-inverter-63429.html). Its super cheap.

Thank you very much for any and all assistance!

Joseph B.

Attachments

• wiring diagram.jpg
    wiring diagram.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 15
For an off-shelf solution, (SMALL STUFF) I've seen guys running with multiple charge sources through a CTEK D250SE, and possibly a SmartPass accessory. The solar controller is already in the unit, seems to automatically switch between multiple inputs, charge your starter battery when the service battery is full automatically...

I have no personal experience with it, but might be something to look into for your application if you have a small side need. Described as a charger, but take a look at their pdf docs.

Again, no personal experience, but I've seen them in use. Maybe some ideas for your larger install...

Last edited:
Back