diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller - Not Reading Anything

dannwo

Hello all! Looking for guidance as I'm a newbie to all of this and simply trying to upgrade from a Regulator to a Controller.

I purchased a 100 watt solar panel, attached it to a 7 amp charge regulator, and connected to the battery and everything works fine (with a 300 watt inverter). I can charge and run basic stuff on my garage and this exact setup works 100%. But, when I disconnect EVERYTHING with the hopes of upgrading to a Charge Controller, nothing works. The charge controller shown below is a GHB 20 amp 12V/24V

I connected the Charge Controller to just the battery itself and it doesn't read anything. I even purchased a Renogy Wanderer 10 amp (12/24V) PVM controller first and did the same exact connections and that too did not work. To me, it can't be shear luck that I purchased two bad controllers, I must be doing something wrong. The wire shown below is 12 gauge.

Can some assist in letting me know where my fault it at; different size wires, faulty connections, etc? It's strange that it works 10% with a Charge Regulator but, not with a Controller.

Thank you in reviewing my post and helping me out!
controller and wire 1.jpgcontroller and wire 2.jpgbattery.jpgwire only.jpgcontroller specs.jpg

Is the battery charged and reading open circuit voltage of 12.4V or higher?

For testing purpose they are fine, but those clamps on the battery terminals are a very poor connection and will contribute to voltage drop.

Is the battery charged and reading open circuit voltage of 12.4V or higher?

For testing purpose they are fine, but those clamps on the battery terminals are a very poor connection and will contribute to voltage drop.
It reads between 12.4 to 13.2. The clamps are definitely for testing purposes only and would never transfer that same setup to something better.

If the 12V has charge, and If the harness doesn't reverse the polarity, then you are dealing with two defective charge controllers.
That's exactly what I didn't want to hear. What would be the chances if this ?@!? LOL

While I stand by my original position, have you tried another 12V battery to power the controller?

Also, have you always connected the battery first before the panels?

Whatever you can get for <$20 on Amazon.

Answering you first question: No, I have not tried and will do so.
Answering you second question: Yes and even tried to just hookup the battery to the controller first so I can at least get some sort of reading.

All - this turned out to be a reverse polaritry issue. "Sunshine_Eggo", you were correct! Thank you. Everything works great now.

Back