diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller Reported Voltage and Amps

c2005

I have a Rich Solar 20a charge controller that I just added to my camper - paired with 2x100w panels.

After a long day of charging, the controller will still report ~40v at 5a even as the battery shows fully charged.

Does this mean the charge controller is still supplying the battery with that power, or simply how much power is available and could be delivered, if needed?

I feel the battery would have destroyed already if it was the former. Just trying to understand the display a bit more.

If the panels are supplying that, does the controller just deny the power? Or does it have to dissipate it as heat somehow?

Thanks,
Cameron

I have a Rich Solar 20a charge controller that I just added to my camper - paired with 2x100w panels.

After a long day of charging, the controller will still report ~40v at 5a even as the battery shows fully charged.

Assuming MPPT controller

Assuming the 40V/5A is real...

What is showing fully charged? If it's the charge controller reporting that, it's a voltage based calculation that doesn't mean anything.

Does this mean the charge controller is still supplying the battery with that power, or simply how much power is available and could be delivered, if needed?

Possibly, or it might mean you're using about 80W of power, and the solar is providing it.

I feel the battery would have destroyed already if it was the former. Just trying to understand the display a bit more.

If the panels are supplying that, does the controller just deny the power? Or does it have to dissipate it as heat somehow?

The controller is a load to the panels when charging or powering loads. If power/charging is not needed, the controller does not draw those loads, and the energy that would have been generated is just dissipated as heat by the panels.

Is the solar charge controller set for the correct battery chemistry?

As stated above, if you have other loads active like lights or a radio, then the solar charge controller is powering those items. Your battery may or may not be getting a charge. Connector a DC ammeter to one of the leads to the battery and you'll know for sure how many amps are going into the battery.

Back