diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller settings when no Li option

RanVan

I am installing a new 24V LiFePO4 system to replace my old 12V lead acid system at our cabin on a remote island. Unfortunately my 24V Inverter/Charger/Charge controller delivery has been delayed and I won't get it for several more weeks. In the meantime my old lead acid batteries are completely fried. I have already top balanced my new Li batteries and am wondering if it is a good idea to put them in a 12V configuration and hook them up to my old system to get me through until my Inverter/Charter arrives or should I just run the cabin from the generator at night. The 12V system is a fairly low end one and the charge controller only has setting for lead acid and AGM. I have heard you can hook up Li batteries to such a system but the charge controller should be set to AGM. I can't use my BMS to prevent overcharging because it is a 24V BMS so I am worried the new batteries will get overcharged. What's the best solution, generator or 12V LiFePO4?

Sorry I am not waiting for a 12V BMS, but am waiting for the MPP 24V All-in-one inverter/charger. I have all the other components but could just drop in my 8 Li batteries configured to 2 x 12V to run my old system until the MPP inverter arrives.

Back