diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller switching off for a second at 30 amps

A.martin

Hello all, I'm having a mind boggling problem with my charge controller. I have 4 130 watt panels wired in series running through a 16 amp dc double pole breaker and then on to a 40amp epever tracer BN serries charge controller. I have one kilovault HLX 12V 300 AH battery. I have a 40amp inline breaker between the battery and the charge controller on 6ga wire. The issue is that the charge controller will cut all power (dc load, charging, connected MT50 interface) for just a second at approximately 30amps charge current. It turns back on after that quick second and resumes normal charging and everything until it reaches 30amps again. The same issue has persisted with a Renogy rover 40 amp charge controller as well as my current EPever. So, it seems that the problem is something else with in my system, not the controller. I have also determined that my battery is not momentarily turning off so the issue is probably not the battery. I have checked every connection for tightness, tried turning off the dc load, double checked that all wires are correct gauge, multi metered everywhere to see if there were any strange readings, no breakers are tripping, no error codes appear.... everything seems fine but the issue persists. I talked to Kilovault tech support and they couldn't figure anything out either. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be or heard of anyone with the same issue?

Hello all, I'm having a mind boggling problem with my charge controller. I have 4 130 watt panels wired in series running through a 16 amp dc double pole breaker and then on to a 40amp epever tracer BN serries charge controller. I have one kilovault HLX 12V 300 AH battery. I have a 40amp inline breaker between the battery and the charge controller on 6ga wire. The issue is that the charge controller will cut all power (dc load, charging, connected MT50 interface) for just a second at approximately 30amps charge current. It turns back on after that quick second and resumes normal charging and everything until it reaches 30amps again. The same issue has persisted with a Renogy rover 40 amp charge controller as well as my current EPever. So, it seems that the problem is something else with in my system, not the controller. I have also determined that my battery is not momentarily turning off so the issue is probably not the battery. I have checked every connection for tightness, tried turning off the dc load, double checked that all wires are correct gauge, multi metered everywhere to see if there were any strange readings, no breakers are tripping, no error codes appear.... everything seems fine but the issue persists. I talked to Kilovault tech support and they couldn't figure anything out either. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be or heard of anyone with the same issue?
BMS in battery? switching on & off, try removing the two breakers and see if it still does it.

Snoobler, Connected to the load port are 12v lights, 12v ceiling fan, propane fridge (minimal draw), power tool battery chargers. I turned every dc load on on my house and it was about 9amps. Wire gauge is correct. I turned the load off and the problem persisted.

Rstone13, the battery itself is not turning off when the problem occurs. My inverter stays on and the voltage doesn't go to zero at the battery terminals. It is specifically the charge controller cutting power. I considered removing the breakers to rule that out but I wasn't sure if it was safe.

Snoobler, Connected to the load port are 12v lights, 12v ceiling fan, propane fridge (minimal draw), power tool battery chargers. I turned every dc load on on my house and it was about 9amps. Wire gauge is correct. I turned the load off and the problem persisted.

Rstone13, the battery itself is not turning off when the problem occurs. My inverter stays on and the voltage doesn't go to zero at the battery terminals. It is specifically the charge controller cutting power. I considered removing the breakers to rule that out but I wasn't sure if it was safe.
Just to rule that out as possibility, if still does it put them back in. Just a thought

Just to rule that out as possibility, if still does it put them back in. Just a thought
I'll try it! It's the only thing I can think of to rule out besides my panels being faulty. Could you suggest a good way to jump the wires if when I take the breakers out?

This shouldn't be due to cut-off of the PV input (faulty or not). This sounds like an interruption between battery and SCC, not PV and SCC.

This shouldn't be due to cut-off of the PV input (faulty or not). This sounds like an interruption between battery and SCC, not PV and SCC.
I agree, I'm just running out of things to rule out! I think the most likely scenario is my cheap breaker is doing something weird even though it's not tripping. In the case that it is the breaker between the battery and the scc, can you recommend a more reliable one? Is there any reason I should size it differently than the scc max charge current?

I'll try it! It's the only thing I can think of to rule out besides my panels being faulty. Could you suggest a good way to jump the wires if when I take the breakers out?
Twist together with wire nut? It's only a test.

Did you wire into an existing system?

Sounds like you’re tripping a self resetting breaker. If you added your new system onto the old one, trace battery cables back and you may find self resetting breakers.

I recently reviewed an older version of the ABYCC code and saw boat systems are supposed to have self resetting breakers. My RV has self resetting breakers.

Did you wire into an existing system?

Sounds like you’re tripping a self resetting breaker. If you added your new system onto the old one, trace battery cables back and you may find self resetting breakers.

I recently reviewed an older version of the ABYCC code and saw boat systems are supposed to have self resetting breakers. My RV has self resetting breakers.
Thanks for your input, I agree with you that it sounds like a self resetting breaker

Thanks for your input, I agree with you that it sounds like a self resetting breaker
Oops hit reply too quick. I do not have a self resetting breaker. however, I do have a cheap breaker which I suspect is acting as a self resetting breaker when it shouldn't. I'm going to replace it with a higher quality one and hope for the best.

Thank you for the input everyone. I have ordered a high quality circuit breaker for the charge controller to battery wire. Based on the fact that my current breaker is a cheap no name I'm suspecting that that is the problem. instead of jumping the wires I am going to wait for the new breaker and give that a try.

Back