diy solar

diy solar

Charge from solar while in use?

ff4444

I took a look at Will's website recommendations and reviews for solar generators. Can you generally charge from solar while using the inverter outputs and DC outputs? Are there any notable brands/models that do this better or worse than others? Thanks for sharing your experience :)

Welcome to the forum. Yes, in general the solar generators on the market allow what many refer to as pass-through charging. I can't think of an exception from the major brands besides the smallest Jackery 160. There's no doing it better or worse since it's either an available feature or it isn't.

I took a look at Will's website recommendations and reviews for solar generators. Can you generally charge from solar while using the inverter outputs and DC outputs? Are there any notable brands/models that do this better or worse than others? Thanks for sharing your experience :)
As noted, most brands allow charging while in use. It’s almost a necessity, as anything less would tend to make them nighttime-only option on solar. As for “better or worse” every unit has a charge rate that limits how much solar you can put on them, or at least how much solar will get through to the batteries. With some of the more limited models, it is almost impossible to get them fully charged on anything but full sun days. Some, the PointZero Titan being one, allow more solar power to be connected and the Titan dealers sell systems with up to 2000 watts of panels included. Depending on your needs, this can be a major factor In your considerations.

The solar generators from Goal Zero, Jackery and more good brands are able to charge while loading.

Be sure the 12 volt outlet is regulated.

Back