diy solar

diy solar

Charge house backup battery from car

No they aren't, not providing backup for house without disconnecting from grid.

Sol-Arc has AC in, AC out, transfer time 4ms.
That's just a relay inside, works like a transfer switch. Only the downstream loads are protected, like any other UPS.
50A limit on pass-through current.

If you have V2H, it can't just be a cable plugged into the house wiring.
It needs a disconnect switch to isolate grid.
When using a generator you need a transfer switch (DPDT) to move both hot legs from grid to generator.
A UPS like Sol-Arc has DPST because it's inverter section can backfeed the grid, UL1741.

Your V2H solution would have a switch to disconnect from grid, and a signal to vehicle telling it to send AC to house. Could be a vehicle charger with battery inverter, getting its DC from vehicle.
An ideal implementation would communicate with household loads and GT inverters, managing them.

Couldn't a V2H connection just plug into the generator input of a Sol-Ark and let the Sol-Ark manage it as an eligible input source, regardless of whether the AC grid input is providing power or not?

a Lexus which uses a 384v hybrid battery, and so I did some research and figured out he could use a Vertiv Liebert GXT4-10000RT208 datacenter UPS, which operates at his hybrid DC voltage. So the point is, if you find some hybrid you like, it's just a matter of researching what voltage the battery operates at, and then go find some inverter which is similar input voltage.
Wow ... Along the line of my interests too ... / Thanks for those specifics I want to research ... along lines of maybe a similar thread: Portable EV Battery in working car used as Home BackUp Power
(a thread I started/ looking for link to info. and who else is looking ... just found this thread :+) Find this arena fascinating!!!
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/p...-working-car-used-as-home-backup-power.14970/ ... Great leads to understand more about the options. Bet ongoing innovations will be bring more options to tap into :+)

Last edited:
Back