diy solar

diy solar

Charge management

Hillbillybuddha

I'm building a system for my boat from scratch. Right now the only power comes from an alternator and has two 75ah batteries. One house, one starter.

I'm trying to understand how to manage charging from multiple sources. Solar, wind, alternator and shorepower.

The boat doesn't have shorepower right now and I'm wondering if I really need it as I plan on living on the hook. (But that's besides the point of this question)

So if the solar, alternator and wind gen are all working how do I control the amount of power going into the batteries?

The alternator has it's own charge controller of sorts. Most are pretty crude. There are some out there with real smart profile. Solar has its own charge controller. Wind generally has to have a load or be able to furl and you'll have to see what its requirements are but it needs a charge controller too. In that way they work together or at least don't conflict.

Are you using lead acid batteries?

Multiple charging sources are generally not an issue. Each will drop out based on the regulated voltage.
I assume you have some type of isolator and charge combiner between the batteries.

The alternator has it's own charge controller of sorts. Most are pretty crude. There are some out there with real smart profile. Solar has its own charge controller. Wind generally has to have a load or be able to furl and you'll have to see what its requirements are but it needs a charge controller too. In that way they work together or at least don't conflict.

Are you using lead acid batteries?
I am planning on four 100ah LiFePo4 batteries.

Multiple charging sources are generally not an issue. Each will drop out based on the regulated voltage.
I assume you have some type of isolator and charge combiner between the batteries.
I don't have anything besides the boat right now. Can you tell me a little about isolators and charge combiners, or someplace I can read up on them, why I need them and how to add them to my system? I really enjoy Will's videos, maybe he has a video on them?

An isolator will allow the charging system to charge both batteries but while in use without charging the batteries will be electrically separated. This allows you to run the boat lights etc without draining the engine start battery.

An isolator will allow the charging system to charge both batteries but while in use without charging the batteries will be electrically separated. This allows you to run the boat lights etc without draining the engine start battery.
Oh, is that the red round switch that says Off / Start / House / Both?

Back