diy solar

diy solar

Charge question for battle born gc2

DVORA

I'll be running 4 gc2 battle born batteries with 2 80 amp battery chargers. Recommend by battle born. So I can charge my batteries from dead to full in 2.5 hrs of generator run time. My question is if one charger starts charging before the other one will the other even start? Also I know I hook up one charger positive side of battery 1 and negative of battery 4 but on the second one do I start with the positive of battery 4 and negative of battery 1 or do I copy the first charger?

Welcome to the forum.

Did BB recommend you get 2 of those chargers for your 4 batteries?

Are these 4 12V in parallel?

You can have two dozen chargers connected to the same bank as long as the chargers are programmed to the correct settings. As long as the batteries are able to receive > 80A under the absorption voltage, then you will get current from both chargers. Once absorption voltage is hit, the current gets tapered to hold that voltage. Once the total current needed to hold the absorption drops below 80A, one of the chargers will drop to float voltage.

You should definitely connect as you describe, (+) on 1 and (-) on 4. It's optional how you connect the second either same or opposite as the first. I have no data to support the preference, but I imagine the second with (+) on 4 and (-) on 1 might improve uniformity of charging.

Given the current you're pushing, you need BEEFY and short cables between the chargers and the battery bank. If you use thin wire or have a long run, you may lose a large portion of the available current due to voltage drop.

The chargers are going like 6 inches away from the batteries. Yes battle born recommend the 2 chargers. They are from them. Just want less generator run time. Without adding more solar at this time.

Physical distance is less important than wire length. I would expect you're going to need more than 6" of cable.

Using 13.6V as a typical charge voltage and a one-way wire length of 2' (4' total considering + and - ), 2/0 cable @160A gets a 0.05V voltage drop PROVIDED you have excellent connections (quality crimped terminals, proper torque, etc.):

I would be happy with that.

Note the calculator I mentioned uses only the 1-way length. Since your leads may be different lengths, add them up and divide by two if you want to use that calculator.

Back