diy solar

diy solar

Charger amps to series connected batteries

Paul_R

Solar Enthusiast
Again showing my ignorance here....

Say I have a 24v charger putting out 60 amps to a pair of series connected 12v lithium batteries. Is that 60 amps split evenly between both batteries, 30a/30a?

Thanks

Charger would see the two batteries as one since you're connecting the charger to the positive of one and the negative of the other. It would output 60A to the entire pack.

Charger would see the two batteries as one since you're connecting the charger to the positive of one and the negative of the other. It would output 60A to the entire pack.
Yeah. Kind of.

I'm terms of where the power is going its split between the batteries and they will charge more or less simultaneously.

As far as the actual circuit goes it's just as you said. You have a 24v bank of two batteries and you're putting 60a into it. End of story.

The simple answer is the one provided above. The reality is its not that simple. Current seen by each battery is a function of the internal resistance of that battery. V=IR

This is why we use ballancers to monitor the individual cell voltage of highly serialized battery packs. For "small" systems we typically dont wory about this but you can very much be overcharging one LFP battery at 14v and have one dead at 12v and still think your pack is reading good with a 26v pack reading.

The simple answer is the one provided above. The reality is its not that simple. Current seen by each battery is a function of the internal resistance of that battery. V=IR

This is why we use ballancers to monitor the individual cell voltage of highly serialized battery packs. For "small" systems we typically dont wory about this but you can very much be overcharging one LFP battery at 14v and have one dead at 12v and still think your pack is reading good with a 26v pack reading.
If in series ... both batteries have the same current .... the current will be determined by the voltage and the total resistance of both batteries.

Back