diy solar

diy solar

Charger for top balance

I just ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164972289976 ... to have more options, including up to 40 amps on a LiFePO4 Top Balance. I was motivated to get this to try on a cell reconditioning procedure mentioned in another recent thread about " ... strange cell deviation at float?"
The specs in that ebay listing for the TekPower TP1540E state that it has 100mV ripple noise... I wonder how that compares to a lot of the lower current bench supplies like the Dr Power

The specs in that ebay listing for the TekPower TP1540E state that it has 100mV ripple noise... I wonder how that compares to a lot of the lower current bench supplies like the Dr Power
Batteries don't care.
Cells are like a huge capacitor.

It won't do 24A at higher voltages with the power supply they include. I bought my own 25A@60v supply and fit it into the case.

The iCharger won't do above 8 cells that I know of. So for 30v, the 24 amp output is available.

Because for the iCharger X8, power input is 9v to 49v. Can it be used to do a single cell? Certainly anyone wanting to do more than a single cell at a time (thus justifying spending $99 + "whatever" versus $55) will need more than any old power supply. Especially if you want the 30 amp capability. For about $200 I can get a Riden, much more versatile, although only capable of 24 amps. The Riden will also allow you to set tail current, so is likely to do a much better job when top balancing. I've looked at the iCharger X8, the only reason I didn't get one was the inability to find a suitable power supply. Nice charger, but requires a power supply to be useful, or just buy the power supply.

I've used this:

And really like my Ridens:

But most people would be better off buying a cheap (~$55) power supply like this:

Or just add an active balancer and use your solar charge controller:

I have all of the above, so my question about what 1100 watt power supply you used still stands. I'd like to purchase one and try it out.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was looking for more info on the iCharger x8 and stumbled across this thread.

A cheap option if you don't need the full 1100 watts (ie you are just charging a cell or two at a time) is this:

Supplies up to 30 amps at 12 volts.

Last edited:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was looking for more info on the iCharger x8 and stumbled across this thread.

A cheap option if you don't need the full 1100 watts (ie you are just charging a cell or two at a time) is this:

Supplies up to 30 amps at 12 volts.
Mainly because the x8 means 24v, not 12v. I am sure you can use it to only charge 4 cells at 30 amps. 3.65 x 8 x 30 = 876 watts. A regulated 12v supply won't charge a 12v battery, just FYI. I have been using the 24 amp Riden, easily able to give either a single cell or a 24v battery (29.2v) the full 24 amps. Set it to 3.65v and come back when done. I have no clue if the iCharger can do a single cell. Can it? The "up to" description on a Chinese power supply means you will be sorry if you use more than 80% of that in a sustained mode, i.e. 24 amps. I charge as a pack up to high cell disconnect, then usually charge each cell individually to 3.65v.

Back