diy solar

diy solar

Charger question

Stucco

So I am building several different size batteries for different projects. 12v 36v 48v 84v, etc.

Is there a charger for charging/top balancing of various cells and batteries I should look at?

I have an adjustable power supply that I use for other projects that I tried using to charge some 26650 cells, but that just let to some exploding cells like gunshots after about 45 minutes

So is there a smart charger that I can use for multiple scenarios? Or should I just stick with acquiring different chargers for the different projects.

I do not know of a charger like you ask For that voltage range.

I use a NOCO 12 volt 24 volt 26 amp charger for up to 4 gold cart batteries. I also have an Aims 12 volt 75 amp 24 volt 37.5 amp charger charger for my 24 volt 560 volt battery bank. The Aims is made with a 36v 24 amp / 48 v 18 amp version also.

For top balancing cells, I use a power supply, but my experienve is limited to 30 volt 10amp power supplies and that is way short of what you want.

How do you set the power supply to not overcharge the batteries? Just tuning the total volt/amps and they auto quit?

I have only top balanced the cells in parallel with the power supply, never charged a battery once the cells were assembled. The key for top balance or charging with a power supply is setting the Voltage Before attaching the leads. For my batteries, that is 3.65.

If you set the voltage after you attach the leads, the voltage will rise well above what you set it to as the batteries charge and the power supply switches from constant current or constant voltage.

With my power supply, I still need to check frequently. Two times out of 48 cells I’ve top balanced, the power supply drifted too high.

I prefer to pre-charge the cells by pre-building the batteries and charging to 3.65 per cell, 27.6 volts set in my SCC in a 24 volt pack with the BMS attached. That way when I take the battery apart and move it to the power supply to go from 3.45 to 3.65 to finish the top balance, the time unattended on the power supply goes from over a week using only the DC power supply for the whole top balance to 3 - 6 hours on the DC power supply. Depending in the amps in the SCC, it’ll take one to three days to charge the battery pack.

So I am building several different size batteries for different projects. 12v 36v 48v 84v, etc.

Is there a charger for charging/top balancing of various cells and batteries I should look at?

I have an adjustable power supply that I use for other projects that I tried using to charge some 26650 cells, but that just let to some exploding cells like gunshots after about 45 minutes

So is there a smart charger that I can use for multiple scenarios? Or should I just stick with acquiring different chargers for the different projects.
I really like the Riden 6018. They have the 6024 now. It won't charge the 84v pack together, but it was awesome for top balancing and I also use it to charge my 48v pack on cloudy days. Top balancing I had no issues with drift. I set voltage to 3.65 and it would shut itself off when it got down to exactly the same amperage on each cell. I could watch it on my computer as well.
AliExpress/Alibaba from the Riden store was the cheapest at the time. If you do get a Riden, make sure you get the whole thing (case, and Riden unit with the correct power supply).

Can your power supply do CC mode also, or just CV?

How do you set the power supply to not overcharge the batteries? Just tuning the total volt/amps and they auto quit?
Put the cells in parallel. Set the charger to the correct maximum voltage for one cell. Connect the charger.

If charging in series, the cells must have a BMS to stop the charging when any one cell reaches max voltage.

Back