diy solar

diy solar

Chargery 16T decalibrated?

I've purchased 8 Chargerys over the last 2 years. 3 x 16Ts and the rest 8Ts. Out of the 8...
1) 1 just didn't work - stopped balancing but worked otherwise.
2) 1 blew up as soon as I connected - burned out a resistor on the circuit board I could visually see when I opened it.
1636235163443.png
3) 1 blew up as I pushed the (required) temp probe into an 18650 pack... it seemed to short on the negative canister side even thought it appears to be 'non conductive'.. OK - I'll take blame for this.
4) 1 mostly works - but doesn't show correct % charge on the visual 'meter'
1636235435737.png

The other 4 work great, 2 of them nearing 2 years BUT.... I wouldn't use them in harsh weather conditions.

Even though they are 'dicey' in my experience, they are the only one that has a local, visual voltage monitor, non-phone/bluetooth, as part of the design at the price level... and I LOVE that so I keep buying them :)

Last edited:
Yikes !

So sorry to have not read your stuff carefully enough and to have wasted many seconds of your time. ?

I’ll show myself out. Good luck with your issues.
it is an epidemic nowadays that people read only 1/2 of the thread (and understand only 1/4) and then fill it with suggestions / conclusions that are totally off the track.

If the voltage measured at the BMS connector is exactly 3.29 between adjacent pairs there is no way it can be any bad crimp (on the other end of the bms wire)....

*facepalm*

I've purchased 8 Chargerys over the last 2 years. 3 x 16Ts and the rest 8Ts. Out of the 8...
1) 1 just didn't work - stopped balancing but worked otherwise.
2) 1 blew up as soon as I connected - burned out a resistor on the circuit board I could visually see when I opened it.
View attachment 71557
3) 1 blew up as I pushed the (required) temp probe into an 18650 pack... it seemed to short on the negative canister side even thought it appears to be 'non conductive'.. OK - I'll take blame for this.
4) 1 mostly works - but doesn't show correct % charge on the visual 'meter'
View attachment 71558

The other 4 work great, 2 of them nearing 2 years BUT.... I wouldn't use them in harsh weather conditions.

Even though they are 'dicey' in my experience, they are the only one that has a local, visual voltage monitor, non-phone/bluetooth, as part of the design at the price level... and I LOVE that so I keep buying them :)
yeah somehow my feeling about these devices, bananaware, ripens at customer!

I had luckily a daly BMS for this case, I'll be using the Daly for a while until I find a replacement. I mainly bought it due to the 1.2A balance current - anyway useless if it doesnt work!

it is an epidemic nowadays that people read only 1/2 of the thread (and understand only 1/4) and then fill it with suggestions / conclusions that are totally off the track.

If the voltage measured at the BMS connector is exactly 3.29 between adjacent pairs there is no way it can be any bad crimp (on the other end of the bms wire)....

*facepalm*
Actually, there is.

If you have the connector unplugged when doing the voltage readings and then connect it and check the BMS readings .... there could be balance current or if not powered externally, there could be power for the BMS.
The drop will only occur with a load.

Actually, there is.

If you have the connector unplugged when doing the voltage readings and then connect it and check the BMS readings .... there could be balance current or if not powered externally, there could be power for the BMS.
The drop will only occur with a load.
no it won't. not this amount of drop - did you read the thread? you apparently didnt!

balance is off by default, I said it is brand new just connected. balance is in default - off.

it also shows the voltages completely off when I connect external power (and yeah the power supply is good).

no it won't. not this amount of drop - did you read the thread? you apparently didnt!

balance is off by default, I said it is brand new just connected. balance is in default - off.

it also shows the voltages completely off when I connect external power (and yeah the power supply is good).

I hope your attitude is a little better when you communicate with Jason.

I think you didn't read your own comment .... You said NO WAY .... there is a way.

I hope your attitude is a little better when you communicate with Jason.

I think you didn't read your own comment .... You said NO WAY .... there is a way.
where is Jason? or did you mean JSON?

Jason is @Chargery on here .... but doesn't seem to be frequenting the forum much lately.

If you go to Chargery's web site and email for support, the email goes to Jason.

This is a common issue with the BMS16T, see my previous thread and others with the same issue, unfortunatley it seems like its a total crock, i was unfortunate enough to recommend to friends as well, they have all had varying degrees of odd behavior from the 16T, external power seems to make no difference to the cell voltage readings. It seems the 8 cell version doesn't suffer the same issue. mines in the crap pile along with my friends units.

I think@maharzan had three all with this issue. initial post here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...hould-i-be-concerned.10338/page-4#post-366141

This is a common issue with the BMS16T, see my previous thread and others with the same issue, unfortunatley it seems like its a total crock, i was unfortunate enough to recommend to friends as well, they have all had varying degrees of odd behavior from the 16T, external power seems to make no difference to the cell voltage readings. It seems the 8 cell version doesn't suffer the same issue. mines in the crap pile along with my friends units.

I think@maharzan had three all with this issue. initial post here https://diysolarforum.com/threads/c...hould-i-be-concerned.10338/page-4#post-366141
Ive ordered a 16T (with split display) and the 8T with integrated display, originally. They looked good with the 1A balance current. Ive also a JBD 200A BMS, which has only 260mA balance, but so far this one works well (just the app for BT is a bit weird but I can live with that).

Ive also a Daly 250A BMS which had to take place of the 16T. I was lucky enough to take both BMS with me, Ive traveled very far to a holiday house that I own and where I do maintenance works right now. If I hadn't taken the Daly with me, I would have messed up here! I ordered a new 280ah bank that came just in and wanted to build it up with the 16T and then I find these weird readings... shame on 16t! So finally Ive built it up with the daly, lets hope it will not mess up the cells. I would feel more comfortable with a configurable BMS. Well next on my list to test is this one:

from Hankzor (or should it read Haxor?). I'm not completely conviced by the battery cables/connections, but lets see.

So far the JBS and the Daly have a rock solid feeling, but let see what the time will tell. The JBD ap20s003 is not sold anymore it seems?

So I opened out of curiosity... and this is the finding:

1 of all, that thing will detect the number of cells by finding the first pair of sensor wires that is energized. if you put a cell onto 7-8 pair it will show 8s during startup

2. it seems to multiplex the analog inputs, plenty of cd4052 chips over there and the voltage acquisition is really slow (it takes several seconds to show the voltage)

3. when i hold a single 3.7v cell against the pairs (it is exactly 3.719V), the BMS will show correct voltage on pair 1 and pair 2, but when I hold it against pair 3,4,5 it shows only garbage (like 2.871V, changing quickly).

well what could that be... usually bad ADC readings are due to broken reference voltage, however in this case it may really be these multiplexers, that's CMOS shit pretty sensitive. may have been some ESD issue etc. eventually worth trying if I get some of these chips. Bad idea to have naked CMOS stuff on these sensor wires, imo.

Otherwise there is nothing you could "calibrate" - they say on their page if the BMS doesnt work correctly you have to send it back for calibration, LOL ;)

RFC

ps if it would be the ADC itself it should have bad reading on all pairs... well unless it is using e.g. 2-4 ADCs and the inputs are multiplexed pairwise on the bunch of ADCs, and one ADC is bad the other is good, however unlikely

Hi
I have a bms24t from Chargery. I also had issues with incorrect readings. It was sent back to Jason for calibration and it worked… for a while. I have had the bms removed from wires, but I always switch the power button to reciieve power from external onstead of from pack, both before removing wires and also after they are reinstalled.
Now once again they are wrong again. I gave an active balancer connected to same wires. If balancer show Vdiff on 0.003V, Chargery say it is 0.130V. Checking with multimeter say balancer is right.
I wrote to Jason, but have nothing heard. I recommended he added some calibration were added to the uder interface, since this is clearly an issue. And voltages are extreme important to be correct, else the BMS doesn’t make sense to install!!
For now, I can not recommend using Chargery BMS system!!

Attachments

• 3338D5B6-8501-4386-BA45-7F9002243301.png
    3338D5B6-8501-4386-BA45-7F9002243301.png
    643.3 KB · Views: 2
  • C412AC72-C760-45A9-BDE8-8EFEF5063BC3.jpeg
    C412AC72-C760-45A9-BDE8-8EFEF5063BC3.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 2
Back