diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS News / UPDATE (Nov.25.2020) Ver 4.02 firmware

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
I am Cross Posting Jasons update info which is spread around to this thread.

Any items that pop up related to this Firmware Update etc should be posted or linked to in this thread to make it easier to locate, track and address. It will help solve issues and answer questions.

Thanks in Advance for your understanding & cooperation.
Steve_S

Tag for @Chargery to note this thread related to this Firmware Update.

~~~ BELOW FROM Jason at Chargery ~~~

We just released new firmware for BMS8T, BMS16T and BMS24T. both main unit version and LCD version is V4.02

the update are as below,

On new version V4.02, new update:
Optimize current measurement, with 100A shunt, the BMS can detect 0.3A minimum, with 300A shunt, the BMS can detect 0.5A minimum. The AH and WH accuracy is improved at the same time.
  • Optimize cell voltage measurement, improve the cell voltage accuracy
  • Modify over current protection resume from automatically to by manual.
new manual is as below, more details please check the final page of manual.
New Firmware is here, https://chargery.com/update.asp
our testing result state clearly the current is very stable and accurate, if curent reading on BMS still have fluctuations, please email me to jasonwang3a@163.com, i will try my best to fix it, maybe need modify hardware.

new BMS8P, BMS16P, BMS24P will be with RS485, and CAN communication, the cooling fan will be added, new hardware and new program, continue to balance will be realized, for battery with large capacity difference, large impedance difference and large cell volage difference will be resumed at the shortest time, 1A balancing current will remove 10AH difference within 10 hours.

the cell IR measurement is still an importang tool, it can indicate cell actual difference, it is easy to tell you which cell is bad (lower capacity and higher impedance), and need to exchange.

about parameter setting, don't setup the protection point to the highest or the lowest as descriped in cell/battery datasheet, it is abosulutely maximum or minimum value, and don't reach it abolutely, that is to say, if over it or under it, the cell or battery is dangeous, so it is not suitable in actual using, unless you need test cell/battery actual capacity, because the capacity listed on cell / battery datasheet is tested according these maximum or minimum conditions.

good luck and thanks for support.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am Cross Posting Jasons update info which is spread around to this thread.

Any items that pop up related to this Firmware Update etc should be posted or linked to in this thread to make it easier to locate, track and address. It will help solve issues and answer questions.

Thanks in Advance for your understanding & cooperation.
Steve_S

Tag for @Chargery to note this thread related to this Firmware Update.

~~~ BELOW FROM Jason at Chargery ~~~

We just released new firmware for BMS8T, BMS16T and BMS24T. both main unit version and LCD version is V4.02

the update are as below,

On new version V4.02, new update:
Optimize current measurement, with 100A shunt, the BMS can detect 0.3A minimum, with 300A shunt, the BMS can detect 0.5A minimum. The AH and WH accuracy is improved at the same time.
  • Optimize cell voltage measurement, improve the cell voltage accuracy
  • Modify over current protection resume from automatically to by manual.
new manual is as below, more details please check the final page of manual.
New Firmware is here, https://chargery.com/update.asp
our testing result state clearly the current is very stable and accurate, if curent reading on BMS still have fluctuations, please email me to jasonwang3a@163.com, i will try my best to fix it, maybe need modify hardware.

new BMS8P, BMS16P, BMS24P will be with RS485, and CAN communication, the cooling fan will be added, new hardware and new program, continue to balance will be realized, for battery with large capacity difference, large impedance difference and large cell volage difference will be resumed at the shortest time, 1A balancing current will remove 10AH difference within 10 hours.

the cell IR measurement is still an importang tool, it can indicate cell actual difference, it is easy to tell you which cell is bad (lower capacity and higher impedance), and need to exchange.

about parameter setting, don't setup the protection point to the highest or the lowest as descriped in cell/battery datasheet, it is abosulutely maximum or minimum value, and don't reach it abolutely, that is to say, if over it or under it, the cell or battery is dangeous, so it is not suitable in actual using, unless you need test cell/battery actual capacity, because the capacity listed on cell / battery datasheet is tested according these maximum or minimum conditions.

good luck and thanks for support.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
what is your attachment?

Ok, I just updated to 4.2 on my BMS8T. It now shows charging at .6 Amps (before it was 0 and in storage mode) plus the first time I have seen a "point" on the amps scale, so that's a bonus. I'm charging it to full, discharge a bit, then reset the shunt calibration. (I'm using a 500 Amp shunt)

the small ISO board is released, when it fit with DCC, the DCC can be installed on battery positive, it is more safe than it is installed on negative.
more details please check the attached DCC manual v1.1. now the board is available, from tomorrow, it will be delivered with DCC, and it is free.
ISOPOWER11-8T.jpg
ISOPOWER11-16T24T.jpg

Attachments

• Chargery DC contactor manual V1.1.pdf
    814.6 KB · Views: 26
Ok, I have calibrated the BMS Amps. During charging, I observed "under" one Amp of fluctuation. A massive improvement over the earlier software.
Voltage accuracy seems to still be an issue. Settings have been adjusted for the voltage issues, The balancing is off. The true Delta is between 4 and 7 mv out of the knees. I have been playing with smaller active balancers. I had the best of luck with the Heltec style Inductors. In fact, when my pack was whey out of whack, I had 4 of them hooked up. Now it will not even light one up.

Just want to give an update to this horrible BMS. Hopefully this helps others stay away from this product. My 4 200ah batteries are now dead because of this useless product.

My vehicle went in for service for 3 days. Batteries where full. Fridge and other appliances were running. Apparently, the BMS allowed the voltage to drop to below 6V. When I returned to the vehicle, I was surprised to find the LCD display still on (dimm but on) with only a little over 6 volts being displayed. It looks like it drained the batteries down below their limits. (some cells show under 2V)

Going to have to buy 4 new batteries and start over.

I have had no problems with the LVD function of the Chargery and have tested it several times.

Are you sure you don't have loads that are not disconnected by the Chargery? Have you tried to slowly charge that pack back up?

No loads that pull from the battery. The BMS is directly controlling the relays comming from the batteries. When the relays turn off, all power is disconnected from the vehicle. I haven't tried charging the batteries because I now need to drop the battery boxes to get to the cells. The BMS will not open the charge relay since the voltage is too low. How is it possible that these batteries got so low? Could possibly be that the BMS itself was drawing power after the discharge relay was disconnected? I am not sure, but what I do know is that the LCD panels for the BMS were still on (dimm) while registering 6V of power

I have had no problems with the LVD function of the Chargery and have tested it several times.

Are you sure you don't have loads that are not disconnected by the Chargery? Have you tried to slowly charge that pack back up?
You might have tested it momentarily. I have as well, it does disconnect when the voltage drops. For some reason, having the vehicle sitting for 3 days and no charging killed the batteries. ALL 4 of them. if you need pictures, I can post them here. In fact, when I return to the vehicle (in storage now), I'll have to take some pictures.

What was the setting for your LVD? I would get some charge on them as soon as possible because the longer they sit at a low voltage the more probable there will be harm to the cells.

Once the LVD is reached the load relay will disconnect .... But the charge relay will not. You would have to have a very significant draw from your charge relay to pull it down that far in 3 days .... How long should the battery have been able to supply the loads before it got low?

Once the LVD is reached the load relay will disconnect .... But the charge relay will not. You would have to have a very significant draw from your charge relay to pull it down that far in 3 days .... How long should the battery have been able to supply the loads before it got low?
2-3 days, but it was hot and the exhaust fan was running so it could have been shorter. I am just going to replace all the cells and bms units. I can't deal with all the quicks and issues with these units. BTW, the one bms unit which wouldn't save settings never worked right and never was able to save the settings.

I think there is still a chance the cells can be revived ... don't understand why you want to just scrap them.

@diysolarman
I was wondering what device is on the other side of your "charge" relay, such as an mppt controller or something. I ask because as I was looking at BMS options using relays, it occurred to me that I had to be careful with separate port configurations because a closed relay is not a one way valve, so to speak. In other words, if my charging power source is gone, but my charging device is still seeing my battery voltage, do I have to worry about it draining current from my battery through the charging relay? Because the BMS wouldn't necessarily be programmed to open the charge relay if cell voltage got too low.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but hoping I can learn something.

Just want to give an update to this horrible BMS. Hopefully this helps others stay away from this product. My 4 200ah batteries are now dead because of this useless product.

My vehicle went in for service for 3 days. Batteries where full. Fridge and other appliances were running. Apparently, the BMS allowed the voltage to drop to below 6V. When I returned to the vehicle, I was surprised to find the LCD display still on (dimm but on) with only a little over 6 volts being displayed. It looks like it drained the batteries down below their limits. (some cells show under 2V)

Going to have to buy 4 new batteries and start over.
BMS and relay is powered by battery that in monitoring, if storage in a long time, and don't make the BMS work on sleep mode, the BMS will continue to drain current from battery, at this time if cell volage is lower than storage voltage, the battery may be discharged to under LVD, even BMS detect the volage, it don't kill himself. so the BMS should be work on sleep mode by pressing stop button, or turn off BMS. especially for mechnical relay that need large driven current.
please check BMS manual, there is detailed instructions about this.

Back