diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS News / UPDATE (Nov.25.2020) Ver 4.02 firmware

BTW, This Thread is about:

Chargery BMS News / UPDATE (Nov.25.2020) Ver 4.02 firmware​

with firmware that doesn't mess battery cells up.
After buying you find out you have to buy additional items to make it work and oh by the way the firmware needs to be upgraded as well.
I am NOT aware of the Firmware messing up anyone's battery, UNLESS they chose & configured for the wrong chemistry (ie LITO instead of LiFe) and even then, have not read that here.
Have to buy additional Items ? WHUT ? The BMS-Kit comes with a shunt, Main Module & LCD module plus all required wires etc. Relays / Contactors / DCC is a separate item as every system is different and people want different things for their specific builds. No Secret There so no surprises. All of this info is on the webpages, in discussions and in the manuals, so I can only conclude is that you did not pay attention or did not do Due Diligence in your research. Impatience always gets folks into trouble.

I've never heard of anyone complaining that a system can have its Firmware upgraded OR that improved firmware upgrades actually get produced. - Again your angst at not having a Windows PC is outside of this... place that in the proper box, you own that issue.

Jason Wang is one of the FEW Vendors Manufacturers who listens & hears what the customers & clients have to say and tries to implement those ideas, needs, and wants as possible while interacting with the customers.

You want to be down on Chargery that is up to you, but place things where they belong and move on then. Like Will got upset with Calibrating a Shunt he did not have to and did not bother reading the instructions, his Frustrations overrode him and his emotional reaction went deep negative even though he messed up by not reading the docs or instructions FIRST. Then when he did he used old out of date docs which did not help...

I agree with Steve.

I think it is a tremendous benefit that Jason is willing to take recommendations from this forum and provide software updates based our feedback.

I also think this BMS is very stable at the most current update and using external power .... at least my BMS8T is.

A QUICKY UPDATE from Jason (via email this morning, Mar.03)

They are now doing 3rd round of tests on the new "P" Series BMS's.
It appears it may be some time yet before the new versions will be available. Rather wait a little longer and have a thorough test process completed, so it's all good. Even IF it is a wee bit disappointing to have to keep waiting.

A QUICKY UPDATE from Jason (via email this morning, Mar.03)

They are now doing 3rd round of tests on the new "P" Series BMS's.
It appears it may be some time yet before the new versions will be available. Rather wait a little longer and have a thorough test process completed, so it's all good. Even IF it is a wee bit disappointing to have to keep waiting.
Do you have an idea when we should expect the P series?

Why not just call him
I sent an email to Jason about 3 days ago, no response yet. I intend to buy the Chargery BMS, but I do not want to buy this model and then a new model comes along just days after. This talk about the P series has been on since November 2020. Hoping to get a response from him soon. It would be nice if @Steve_S can get through to him too.

finally got the RV out of storage
BMS8T - 4S 280Ah
powered from battery with Schottky diode now
updated the firmware to 4.05/.02
now tracks my Bogart system very well, both current & SOC
cell differentials are now very low, 3 tracked with 1mV, 1 lagged <30mV behind
set differential to 10mV and the cell balancing worked well right up to 14.55V (i stopped there)
very impressed with the update

i didn't do a reset - i was upgrading from 4.00 - do i need to?

I don't think it's necessary unless starting with a release lower than 4.00.

all new firmware for all BMS models are posted on https://chargery.com/update.asp

LCD uint V4.01, Simplify current calibration,
LCD uint V4.02, Minimum current reading, 0.3A at 100A shunt, and 0.5A at 300A shunt.
Modify over current protection resume operation

Main unit V4.02, Optimize minimum current detection, Optimize cell voltage measurement
Main unit V4.03, Improve SOC calibration, retain all settings and AH, WH, SOC reading after power off BMS.
Main uint V4.04, Improve AH reading.

For all models, the latest version of LCD is V4.02, The latest version of main BMS unit is V4.04

happy new year.
Does anyone know of the release notes / change history for BMS main unit V4.05? I can't find this info.

I currently have V4.04 main unit and V4.02 LCD on my BMS8T. This has been running continuously without issue for a number of months now, but recently I disconnected power to the BMS during some maintenance. I lost my SOC settings - it reset to 100% SOC upon re-applying power. I thought V4.03 was supposed to fix this. Does V4.05 fix this properly? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Does anyone know of the release notes / change history for BMS main unit V4.05? I can't find this info.

I currently have V4.04 main unit and V4.02 LCD on my BMS8T. This has been running continuously without issue for a number of months now, but recently I disconnected power to the BMS during some maintenance. I lost my SOC settings - it reset to 100% SOC upon re-applying power. I thought V4.03 was supposed to fix this. Does V4.05 fix this properly? Or is there something else I'm missing?
Good question .... I'm still on V4.04 as well .... and I still have the problem with it resetting to 100% also.

Seems like Jason isn't checking in with us any more.

Just got some oddball BMS triggers from my Chargery BMS 8T hooked up to a 24v 280Ah LiFePO4 set. ... with the 4.04 firmware (seeing option for 4.05 update) .. w 300 amp shunt. Oddball Triggers: high diff between two cells showing @ 2.885v vs 3.714v (earlier .. a high cell voltage trigger I now believe was false) : ...What is Odd is DMM measures "All 8 Cells" in ok range of voltages (3.38 -3.39v) ... Wondering if firmware 4.04 had any issues to suspect firmware? ... Intending to clean all battery terminal connects plus spray contact cleaner at BMS harness connector, and go from there. Just scratching my head a bit about oddball triggers related to oddball voltage readings at BMS. Notice a LCD firmware update I can do too, just to be on newer page of options :+) ... Experience Comments Welcome.

I haven't had any problems like that with mine ... I'm on 4.04 as well. Also haven't seen any reports from others.

There are know issues with cell voltage readings .... that can mostly be solved on the BMS8T by powering it with external power .... you have probably seen posts about that?

Otherwise I would suspect a possible bad connection somewhere as you mentioned.

Just got some oddball BMS triggers from my Chargery BMS 8T hooked up to a 24v 280Ah LiFePO4 set. ... with the 4.04 firmware (seeing option for 4.05 update) .. w 300 amp shunt. Oddball Triggers: high diff between two cells showing @ 2.885v vs 3.714v (earlier .. a high cell voltage trigger I now believe was false) : ...What is Odd is DMM measures "All 8 Cells" in ok range of voltages (3.38 -3.39v) ... Wondering if firmware 4.04 had any issues to suspect firmware? ... Intending to clean all battery terminal connects plus spray contact cleaner at BMS harness connector, and go from there. Just scratching my head a bit about oddball triggers related to oddball voltage readings at BMS. Notice a LCD firmware update I can do too, just to be on newer page of options :+) ... Experience Comments Welcome.
i would also check to make sure the connection is clean and tight on the cell where the low (or high) voltage was found. may need to undo, scuff with 600 grit, clean with isoprophyl, and reattach lug/busbar/sense lead. i learned that from several posts in this forum.

Just removing the connector and reinserting the sense leads can clear up the bad connection as that type of connector will develop bad connections the only solution is to gold plate the connector contacts.

Just removing the connector and reinserting the sense leads can clear up the bad connection as that type of connector will develop bad connections the only solution is to gold plate the connector contacts.
other solutions include tinned lugs or conductive paste or dialectic grease.

Still scratching my thoughts and options. ... I replaced 2 wire loom ring connectors at my #2 and # 3 battery cell termials (removed maybe 1/8" of wire there with previous ring connectors ) ... and contact spray cleaned the 9 wire loom plug into my BMS. Wow to the high cell vs low cell voltage reversing itself, now showing high voltage cell 2, and low v cell 3 (reverse of 5 minutes earlier /low v cell 2 , and high v cell 3???) ... with a spread of 3.358v to 3.415v on my DMM, and (more) 3.278v to 3.472v via my BMS 8T readings (that also show on LCD visual for each cell's voltage). I really like the idea of powering the BMS via external plug in power (and tried that before), and have updated my BMS firmware using my 19vdc laptop power bar there; but for some reason, my BMS won't inialize or run on that 19vdc @ external plug in, and I know where the switch is. ... I do have a Chargery BMS16T I can plug in as an 8T and see what happens, or I could use one of it's 9 wire loom harnesses, and could also update my BMS8T to latest firmware. I will totally clean n scuff all battery terminals next too, for my effort to see better BMS functioning. ... When I get clear sailing again, I'll leave an update here :+)

Will mention: ... ??? I might have made one of those live n learn mistakes re-hooking up wire loom to last #3 battery terminal without unplugging loom at BMS; ... wondering about the sparks I saw then ??? , but BMS did reboot and appears to be working . Scanning an older related thread; I just re-read: "Never Ever futz with the BMS leads when they are attached to the BMS, 7 of 10 times the BMS will get toasted !" Luckily, my BMS and my solar system are working. ... & I do want to get past BMS triggers that I now know have shut my system down on false info and realted excessive battery cell voltage spread triggers. ... I am determined to figure it out, ... while also juggling allot of other maintenance projects including a tractor restoration project, and some motorcycle maintenance. n Glad to have my options :+) Last recent wondering question : Maybe I need to redo some wire on BMS loom to get it's external power to work (doubt it) ?

Last edited:
Quite correct Enevr Ever FUTS with the BMS Harness while the harness is connected to the BMS, YOU GOT LUCKY !

Dirty / Loose of bad contacts = 80% of people problems and often it is the slightest & silliest things, like Burs or Ridges on busbars, cutting oil residue from when the cells are taped or the protective waxes that some companies apply to the terminals.

Externally powering the BMS does NOT mean using an external powersource as such, you can if you want though. The BMS is powered via the sense leads and this can & does throw things off. If you take the power from the batteries (+)&(-) terminal and feed the plugin to the BMS External Power, that resolves the problem.

I used these to make my own "external power" connection from Pack Terminals at first.

Now Jason has the ISO Board & External Power adapter available as well. I believe it ships in new orders but not sure.
1623670857130.png
External Power Adapter $4.00 USD

1623671151737.png
1623671208745.png

ISO Board for DCC <-> BMS16T & 24T, and for BMS8T.
$10 USD

Hop[e it helps, Good Luck

Attachments

• 1623671187690.png
    1623671187690.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 2
Back