diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS now with Low Temp Cutoff

Couldnt you also kill it with the switch on the delay board? This switch is a kill switch for the relays though I think?

Probably a dumb question ..... are there devices other Raspberry Pi that use the Venus OS?

Would one of you knowledgeable guys consider doing a YouTube video of how to use that driver to get data into a computer and view it?

Probably a dumb question ..... are there devices other Raspberry Pi that use the Venus OS?

Would one of you knowledgeable guys consider doing a YouTube video of how to use that driver to get data into a computer and view it?
I use a raspberry pi with this USR IOT rs232 to ethernet converter. I am willing to share code and make some instructions. Im not so good at Videos lol

I use a raspberry pi with this USR IOT rs232 to ethernet converter. I am willing to share code and make some instructions. Im not so good at Videos lol

Thanks Craig ... I think you are already pretty busy doing things to help people on this forum ...... but any info you can provide would be welcome. Maybe even some good learning links.

I've been wanting to get into Raspberry Pi and Arduino. With a quick look at Arduino, it looks VERY similar to other control software I have used. I don't want to sidetrack this thread too bad .... maybe there could be another thread on "Chargery BMS communications" with a link to it on here.

The Blue Sea 7713 does have this behavior. I've done some brief bench testing here, and had a short conversation with Blue Sea tech support. The power for the latching actuation comes from whichever of the main power leads at one of its base terminals is active. Doesn't matter which. Now, even when the latch is released there is a small current draw between the active power lead at the base terminal and ground via the black (ground) wire from the internal controller. So, to completely turn this relay off and remove any parasitic draw while away for extended periods, one must also ensure that the black lead from the 7713 is disconnected from ground. Not having the Chargery BMS in hand (China deliveries from FedEx seem to have fallen into a black hole at the moment) I cannot say if simply unplugging the power lead from the BMS will open this circuit or not. If not, of course, a simple in-line switch should accommodate. It would be friendly if simply unplugging the BMS would also kill any parasitic loads from the 7713. Does anyone using the Chargery know the answer to this? I will follow up when I recieve my BMS and have had a chance to test this feature.

Are you sure that wiring up the bluesea to the chargery will have it operate with the chargery correctly (powered and closed, no power and open)? If so I’ll get one.

The Blue Sea 7713 does have this behavior. I've done some brief bench testing here, and had a short conversation with Blue Sea tech support. The power for the latching actuation comes from whichever of the main power leads at one of its base terminals is active. Doesn't matter which. Now, even when the latch is released there is a small current draw between the active power lead at the base terminal and ground via the black (ground) wire from the internal controller. So, to completely turn this relay off and remove any parasitic draw while away for extended periods, one must also ensure that the black lead from the 7713 is disconnected from ground. Not having the Chargery BMS in hand (China deliveries from FedEx seem to have fallen into a black hole at the moment) I cannot say if simply unplugging the power lead from the BMS will open this circuit or not. If not, of course, a simple in-line switch should accommodate. It would be friendly if simply unplugging the BMS would also kill any parasitic loads from the 7713. Does anyone using the Chargery know the answer to this? I will follow up when I recieve my BMS and have had a chance to test this feature.

I'm confused because I read their documentation stating you just need to kill 12V+ to the control side to kill the battery connect.

My concern would be if you need to disconnect the ground, how would the Chargery then protect the battery if one or more of the battery disconnect triggers is met? Then you'd need to ensure both positive and ground were disconnected in such an event(s).

Doug

Doug, your confusion may arise from the particular situation I am seeking to resolve. I leave my boat unattended for extended periods of time, either exterior covered or in indoor winter storage for instance, during which time my batteries (and their BMSs) are turned off and no solar is available to charge them. With lfps, leaving them 50% discharged is optimum. I'm interested in removing any parasitic loads which might drain any of my batteries over this long term. In this case, it means making sure the BMSs as well as the 7713s (and any similar devices) are completely turned off. I know 13mA/7713 is quite small but, in my instance, is not the only such parasitic load which might be left on to drain the batteries while their respective BMSs are shut down.

In normal operation, I've plenty of solar and/or dockside charging available, and many larger parasitic loads are lost in the noise of daily use. :cool:

I relate well, I have the same scenario with my camper.
It sits unattended and totally moth-balled for weeks or even a month or two, also. And under a car-port type cover, so no solar to recharge. So my batteries are completely disconnected.
I plan to leave LFP @ 13.2-ish. But 13.1 to 13.3 should be 30% to 70%. According to the CEO of Battleborn, they aren't concerned at what SOC it is left, as long as it isn't terribly low. So, I don't plan to be too picky as long as I'm in that window.

I think you saw the circuit diagram I created in another thread. I interrupt the ground of control side of the heavy duty contactor relay with a manual switch. That manually disables the relay and eliminates any charge or load. Then, I put the BMS in sleep mode (red STOP button).
I've left for a week and taken photos of the Chargery voltage screen before and after. The pack voltage actually went up by 20mV, I guess since it was at rest for a while.
Jason from Chargery said the draw was 5mA in sleep mode. So, I can't leave it indefinitely.

My total parasitic load when the battery active is around 140mA to 150mA. So 3-4 Ah / day. My solar is 900W (max), so I figure this is pretty nominal. This translates to maybe 200Ah to 300Ah total collected.
You could get the parasitic down with an SSR - only based solution. I'm only using one SSR and a Gigavac GV200M (documented 130mA draw.)

Obviously, your numbers and sensitivity to acceptable parasitic load may vary.

Cheers,

Doug

Had a few Chargery BMS tuning questions - realize these are application specific.
(Note, my normal loads are in the neighborhood of 0.02C to 0.04C. Very low. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes / day they'll hit 0.5C or .6C and even then they'd most likely be broken up. 95% of charge energy will be from solar and might hit 0.2C at mid-day full sun.)

1. Can anyone here offer setup suggestions for cell voltage differential on a 4S 280Ah pack?
I set mine for 75mV. I saw 40mV delta during a sustained 150amp draw @ 50% to 60% SOC. At steady state, my cells are within 10mV. I poked around this site for recommendation, but didn't see much.
2. Seems like greater V differential tracks C - rate? Does it change closer to the knees?
3. How do you setup your time delay for events which disable the pack? I have mine set for 15 seconds. I figured this would accommodate a surge load by my 2800W inverter. Is this too long?
4. How about safe temp delta (I'm using F)? So far, I have yet to see more than 1F.

Thanks!

Yes I am running my home, i'm off grid "deep" in the woods near Algonquin Park Ontario.

@Picasso one BMS per pack, you cannot share a BMS with 2 packs. Each pack is a separate & independent entity. You don't; share your living room with your neighbour do you ? such shortcuts will only provide problems, costly ones too.
Must have driven near / past your home during a recent visit to the park ! Lovely part of CA.

It's on my list to visit, almost went there the year we went to Nova Scotia and PEI!

Had a few Chargery BMS tuning questions - realize these are application specific.
(Note, my normal loads are in the neighborhood of 0.02C to 0.04C. Very low. Maybe 15 to 30 minutes / day they'll hit 0.5C or .6C and even then they'd most likely be broken up. 95% of charge energy will be from solar and might hit 0.2C at mid-day full sun.)

1. Can anyone here offer setup suggestions for cell voltage differential on a 4S 280Ah pack?
I set mine for 75mV. I saw 40mV delta during a sustained 150amp draw @ 50% to 60% SOC. At steady state, my cells are within 10mV. I poked around this site for recommendation, but didn't see much.
2. Seems like greater V differential tracks C - rate? Does it change closer to the knees?
3. How do you setup your time delay for events which disable the pack? I have mine set for 15 seconds. I figured this would accommodate a surge load by my 2800W inverter. Is this too long?
4. How about safe temp delta (I'm using F)? So far, I have yet to see more than 1F.

Thanks!
This isn't necessarily a Chargery question maybe move it to general BMS advice. I don't use those batteries so I can't properly answer

Some handy videos:
There are more if you look but these are interesting

How to calibrate Chargery BMS Shunt (BMS8T, BMS16T, BMS24T)

Chargery C10325 Charger Unit

Personal Thoughts on Chargery BMS by DevilsDestiny on YT.
Part-1

Part-2
Steve, what is the name of your Youtube site?

Thank you Steve!

Just a couple questions if you don't mind.

The 4s+4s interests me as I'm looking to stay 12v. In this case I'm assuming both batteries would be protected behind the same pair of relays but they would have better monitoring and balancing vs a single 2p4s battery layout?

Is external power really required on a 2p4s or 4s+4s battery? Is the 12v not enough?

Thanks again for your time and efforts working on these manuals.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve!

Just a couple questions if you don't mind.

The 4s+4s interests me as I'm looking to stay 12v. In this case I'm assuming both batteries would be protected behind the same pair of relays but they would have better monitoring and balancing vs a single 2p4s battery layout?

Is external power really required on a 2p4s or 4s+4s battery? Is the 12v not enough?

Thanks again for your time and efforts working on these manuals.
12V is not enough for the BMS as indicated in the doc's, 15-30V @ 3A is what the BMS needs.

12V is not enough for the BMS as indicated in the doc's, 15-30V @ 3A is what the BMS needs.

Are you sure about that? I have mine connected only through the balance cables and it turns on. I haven't checked if it has enough juice to power the relais though

Back