diy solar

diy solar

Chargery BMS16T harness melts while storage balancing

ejl

Hello, I'm hoping some of you can help me identify the source of a harness meltdown and minor fire with a Chargery BMS16T while attempting to use the storage balancing function on a new 48v bank of Xuba/280 ah LifEPO cells.

Background: I'm new to LIFEPO batteries but not to solar. I have a 5.5KW array which I set up about 10 years ago with a 48v bank of FLA batteries. The system has a Magnum inverter which powers my house with solar/battery until the battery voltage hits a set-point at which time it switches to grid pass-through. This has worked very well for me over the years, with the exception of the hassle factor involved with keeping FLAs happy. So I was pretty excited to see LIFEPO4 cell prices crash this spring with XUBA. You can see my old FLAs below -- I sure hope to be done with these.

My replacement battery is 216 XUBA/EVE 280 AH 3.2v cells, BMS16T (new with 4.0 version firmware main unit/4.1 on display) and two mechanical relays.

My replacement plan was as follows:

1. First wire up the new system without connecting it to the solar/inverter to make sure I knew how to wire it and to start setting the Chargery. This went well with the cells all showing voltages around 3.33 on both the Chargery and my multimeter with no loads or input current. I do know from reading here and elsewhere that cell voltage on this battery type does not necessarily reveal state of charge, so I was and still am prepared to do a top-balance, but given the size of the bank, I first wanted to try step 2:

2. Connect the bank to the solar array and inverter to test the bank and if things seemed to be working, try to get a top-off charge to 100% in the bank with solar power. From there, if it seemed like the cells were pretty balanced, I would do the SOC calibration in the Chargery manual. If the capacity seemed right, I'd then rely on the Chargery to do any balancing. On the other hand, if the top-off charge or SOC calibration showed a significant imbalance, I was prepared to do a top-balance and re-wire the bank for 3.2v in parallel.

My configuration is set up as a common port system, which is wired similarly to the diagram on p. 48 of the Chargery manual.

Things started going wrong at step 2. My solar CCs are Midnight Classics, and they let me limit output current, which I set at 10 amps on just one controller to start. Within a few minutes, the overcharge relay opened and shut everything down. The Chargery showed one of the cells, cell 7, had hit 3.71v which triggered the relay (I kept the overcharge P voltage at its default of 3.65). Another try at 5 amps charging a while later later met with the same result on the same cell. Obviously I checked my wiring and the connections several times with the multimeter but couldn't find a problem.

At this point I wanted to see what would happen with a discharge, and added about a 21 amp load to the inverter. This time the discharge relay opened after about 10 minutes and the Chargery showed a low voltage fault, again on cell 7, with some very low value of about 2.4v. When the load was disconnected, voltage on that cell quickly bounced back up to the 3.36 range. At this point, the internal resistance value on cell 7 was recorded by the Chargery as some really high-seeming value -- 27 milliohms. Obviously this cell might be defective. I disconnected the entire back-end (charge controllers and inverter), but I left the Chargery on. My plan now was to do a top-balance with a DC power supply to make sure cell 7 couldn't be brought in line. But first, I decided to turn on the storage balancing function on the Chargery, with the idea being to let it try to do some balancing before I re-wired the bank. This turned out to be a bad idea. When I checked on it about 10 minutes later, the wiring harness for cells 1-8 was visibly melting and the Chargery was so hot I couldn't hold it to turn it off. While I was trying to figure out how to shut the Chargery off without touching it, the harness caught on fire. I managed to put it out and disconnect everything, but the sad outcome for the Chargery is pictured below. Every cell wire in the harness for 1-8 was melted at the terminal except the wire to cell 8, which was not melted. The harness fire at the base, and/or the overheating, cooked the Chargery main module as well. The other harness was o.k.

So my hypotheses:

1. Cell 7 is defective, was putting up a lot of resistance that the Chargery's balance function tried to overcome until the wires burned.

2. Lithium battery newbie error. It's certainly possible I mis-wired something, or should not have been using storage balancing in a circumstance like this one (perhaps that's obvious in retrospect), or did something else incorrectly. Regarding the wiring though, everything was working, except for the issue with cell 7. I got meaningful data from the Chargery, could add and remove current from the bank, all the accessories connected to the Chargery worked, etc. Could this all still be consistent with a wiring problem?

Thankfully the cells seem o.k. They were cool and had normal voltage after I pulled everything apart, except that 7 continued to read around 3.45v using my multimeter (others around 3.33v). Below is an image of the bank configuration after I pulled everything apart. I didn't take a picture of my wiring before this, but cell one is lower left, and cell 16 upper left. Negative on cell 1 went to the shunt and then B-, Positive on 16 went to the relays and then B+. Cell 7 is lower right second from the end.

3. Wiring harness defect. This is a long-shot given that the multimeter confirmed the Chargery's high readings (it didn't show as high but higher than the other cells).

So I'd appreciate thoughts about the cause of what happened, especially whether a bad cell could have caused this outcome in storage balancing, or other ideas.

I'm also now wondering if it's dangerous to try to top balance this bank with a DC charger. If I got a fire at the Chargery's 1.2 amps at 53v, I might also get one at 5 amps at 3.2v, even though there'd be more headroom. Would my best option be just to replace cell 7 and start over from there?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 74
Thank you for the detailed explanation ! Gosh, it's an example for a LOT of folks, this makes it so much easier to help you.

Right off, I would say Cell 7 is pooched and badly. It could have internal damage which could certainly present like that.
I just want to clarify, you had the BMS Negative wire on the Negative Out Cell and the B1+ on that same cell ?
Simple-16S.jpg

<---

The BMS was reading the IR & Volts off the cells properly, otherwise it would have appeared wonky / incomplete and it would have been obvious.
The BMS has Passive Balancing, meaning it does not transfer power between cells, it only burns off the high voltage from cells, and that process generates heat. This is usually a very slow process because it has a maximum 1.2A.

1st, swap out Cell-7, contact Amy @ Xuba and I'm sure she'll replace it. Give her the link to this thread please !

Next, send a message to Jason Wang @ Chargery jasonwang3a@163.com
Give him the link to this thread as well. Your diagnostic details are Very Helpful.

note, both Amy & Jason need to use translators, so t takes a bit of time & you know the translators can be kinda flaky with certain terms and language structure, patience has it's own rewards.

The BMS Balancing function should have stopped on the Main BMS unit for an over-temp if it was that hot. Even having one cell wildly off on voltage would not cause such because of the 1.2A limit which really isn't much. Could the BMS also have had a fault ? It is possible. I doubt a wiring harness fault because that would have presented quite quickly otherwise. Unless the wires got nicked and exposed & shorted ? if it did the evidence melted.

Now, about Midnite Classic, I use a C-200, great unit, love it but cantankerous with Lithium due to a lack of profile for it. These are showing their age in that regard. There are several threads on the MIdnite Forum with regards to Lithium & LFP in particular. There are a heap of opinions too... I have BUGGED their Tech Support directly, to address Lithium & LFP profiles & settings as that is what people are moving to en masse. The last response I got from their Tech Support, is to "go to the forums." They cannot be bothered to actually write up a "formal" document to stuff in their document library from their own Engineering people. Sorry, a Pet Peeve considering a Tier-1 Product that is not a cheapo chuck away.

I run a 24V system and am still tinkering with settings and everything is upside down ATM as I am just finishing overhauling my powerhouse or the "last damned time" 3 revisions to the whole installation in 4 months... Plus I'm running with multiple packs which adds further challenges to getting all the settings "just so". Just to make it harder on myself, I also have 856AH of Heavy Rolls Surette Lead online, which I am swapping out. So my settings wouldnt be much help at this time.

Sorry, but I'm just the opposite of Steve. There is so much irrelevant information in your description that I got tired reading it to try to find what was relevant to the problem.
I hope that Jason and Amy can figure out what is relevant.

Up until the wiring harness melted, it seemed pretty straight forward that cell #7 was bad. Not sure what went wrong that caused the melt down.

Steve S., thanks for your input, and confirming what I suspected that it is a bad cell. I'll reach out to Xuba and Chargery. Yes, my cell arrangement is as you pictured. I also was a little surprised that the Chargery let the melt-down happen on the balancing.

I agree the Midnite Classic is showing some age here but it's hard for me to say a bad word about them. Mine have been champs running for years in a fairly harsh (hot) shed.

Bob B -- sorry it was so long. It's probably my inexperience with this battery chemistry that led me to not immediately see the cell is bad. There are other reports of seemingly defective LIFEPO cells that recover through careful balancing and cycling so I wasn't sure.

Steve S., thanks for your input, and confirming what I suspected that it is a bad cell. I'll reach out to Xuba and Chargery. Yes, my cell arrangement is as you pictured. I also was a little surprised that the Chargery let the melt-down happen on the balancing.

I agree the Midnite Classic is showing some age here but it's hard for me to say a bad word about them. Mine have been champs running for years in a fairly harsh (hot) shed.

Bob B -- sorry it was so long. It's probably my inexperience with this battery chemistry that led me to not immediately see the cell is bad. There are other reports of seemingly defective LIFEPO cells that recover through careful balancing and cycling so I wasn't sure.
The Cell is suspect but I can't really see how the BMS would be, The internal temp sensor would have shut it off at 55C. If the wire harness was shorted or miswired. Balance on Storage only works if there is no charge / discharge going on and balancing at 1.2A can't melt the wires. As the wires melted that obviously shorted the BMS which killed it, no surprise there really.

The majority of "defective" cell reports are not cell failures, they are more misunderstanding and having incorrect expectations and ultimately from mishandling. Understanding & working with these types of batteries requires times & a boatload of reading along with some patience. Will says this repeatedly in various ways in his videos' and on his main website too. Many folks take a short cut or too and end up with an issue.

I have seen wires melt like that a few times. It usually was caused by miss-wired connections.

@ejl how long did the pack run until the fire? Sounds like the Chargery was doing it’s job fine, disconnects at high/low voltage scenarios but failed when passive balancing. When I had mine setup to balance it got pretty hot to the touch also until it shut down. Maybe it failed to shutdown when it overheated and caused the melting wire / fire issue...?

In general I believe you should check your cells outside of a bms to confirm ‘weak’ performing cells and if you have any that deviate from the mean then replace them, for me that was more than 20mv+-. Otherwise your fighting that cell performance if you run your pack hard, upper and lower limits all the time. A small 1.2a resistive BMS like the Chargery wont have a fighting chance.

solardad, it was about 25 minutes. How long have you run yours in balance mode?

As an update, Amy at Xuba is sending me a free replacement cell based on my description of the bad cell behavior, which I appreciate.

I didn't think about it when I wrote my first post, but there was a little anomaly about the harness that burned which now seems salient. When I first wired it up, I checked the voltage with a multimeter at the terminal plug near the pin sockets before I plugged it in. I had trouble getting a good voltage reading on two of the leads. I thought it was a problem with my ring connectors and replaced them. But after that it was still hard to get a good reading, although I eventually did. In retrospect, if there had been a little short in that connector, it could have both messed up the voltage reading and later, after 25 minutes of balance charging current going through, caused the harness to get hot enough to burn.

Can you measure harness wire diameter with calipers? Like to verify if wire is rated for 1.2A.

BMS was wired correctly, else you would at least had a very low voltage on one cell and very high on another one triggering a OVP and/or LVP. And it would never have started balancing. So the BMS was faulty.

Cell 7 sounds faulty, it also could have been a bad connection between the cell terminal and busbar, you may want to check that.

In any case a BMS shouldn't catch fire even if a cell is very bad...

Roughly 90mins or so I believe it was balancing though I can't be certain since I was not closely monitoring it.
(no longer use it - switching to Batrium)

Last edited:
Can you measure harness wire diameter with calipers? Like to verify if wire is rated for 1.2A.

The harness is 24AWG which I believe is rated for 2-3a depending on the insulation rating (not listed)

Reactions: Cal
The harness is 24AWG which I believe is rated for 2-3a depending on the insulation rating (not listed)

According to this website the limit is between 1 and 2 A (depending on the number of conductors in the cable/harness) for standard PVC insulation and 30 °C ambient max (pretty optimistic IMHO, I'd use 50 or 60 °C ambient personally) so barely enough for 1.2 A. They should have used 22 AWG minimum to have some safety margin.

As an update, Amy at Xuba is sending me a free replacement cell based on my description of the bad cell behavior, which I appreciate.

I didn't think about it when I wrote my first post, but there was a little anomaly about the harness that burned which now seems salient. When I first wired it up, I checked the voltage with a multimeter at the terminal plug near the pin sockets before I plugged it in. I had trouble getting a good voltage reading on two of the leads. I thought it was a problem with my ring connectors and replaced them. But after that it was still hard to get a good reading, although I eventually did. In retrospect, if there had been a little short in that connector, it could have both messed up the voltage reading and later, after 25 minutes of balance charging current going through, caused the harness to get hot enough to burn.
Mine run in balance mode constantly so the length of time is not the issue. If I had to make a guess it is inside the chargery that there was or is a bad wire where the loom plugs in. Can you take it apart and inspect the wires where they meet the circuit board?

Having modded some of the Chargery BMS harnesses to lengthen them, I used 22AWG as Jason advised to match the harness wires.
With a melted Harness, diagnosing that component is virtually impossible.
Craig's suggestion to open the BMS and look may provide some info BUT considering the overheat state and nature of the failure, it's unlikely that even if burnt components were seen, what or how that became damaged would be a guess at best and not likely productive.

Amy from Xuba is already sending Ejl a replacement cell per his/her previous posting above.

So much postulation, theory & conjecture has some entertainment value but really it's moot.

Having modded some of the Chargery BMS harnesses to lengthen them, I used 22AWG as Jason advised to match the harness wires.
With a melted Harness, diagnosing that component is virtually impossible.
Craig's suggestion to open the BMS and look may provide some info BUT considering the overheat state and nature of the failure, it's unlikely that even if burnt components were seen, what or how that became damaged would be a guess at best and not likely productive.

Amy from Xuba is already sending Ejl a replacement cell per his/her previous posting above.

So much postulation, theory & conjecture has some entertainment value but really it's moot.

I'm sorry if you're not happy we discuss this problem because you're close to Jason and you advertise their products here but trying to put things under the carpet doesn't work (and often backfire even...), especially with people like us, we don't like BS and we can smell it from a mile away ?

Problems happen, even with top tier equipment (even if it's rarer of course), knowing what happened and why it happened is important to avoid having the same problem in the future, and I think that's really productive and not for entertainment ;)

And I don't see much postulation in this thread actually (which is really nice). Everything I said (and others too I believe, I'll not re-read every post and check everything tho...) was based on facts and real data.

I'm sorry but using 24 AWG to pass 1.2 A within a 17 wires harness leave basically no margin and is obvious costs cutting on the copper. Now I didn't say (and still don't say) the problem comes from that (as we can't now that yet, and maybe will never know), it's just my engineer critical side. You always want to put some margin in your designs, even more so on unfused wires, else bad things happen sooner or later.

I'm sorry if you're not happy we discuss this problem because you're close to Jason and you advertise their products here but trying to put things under the carpet doesn't work (and often backfire even...), especially with people like us, we don't like BS and we can smell it from a mile away ?

That's a leap. I use Chargery so I let people know about them and try to make using them better for folks. I get NOTHING from ANY Vendor / supplier or anything. I'm not interested in silly games... I provide no affiliate links (that I am aware of, possibly some of Will's from his site but that's it) as I haven't got any myself as I do not sell anything. My own used stuff I'll be listing that are leftover from my upgrade process doesn't count and not listed yet anyways.

(s) I am quite happy that you are not in the medical or scientific communities as your remote, unseen diagnostic magic is incredible & astounding if not Gobsmacking. (/s)

Have yourself a Great Day

That's a leap. I use Chargery so I let people know about them and try to make using them better for folks. I get NOTHING from ANY Vendor / supplier or anything. I'm not interested in silly games... I provide no affiliate links (that I am aware of, possibly some of Will's from his site but that's it) as I haven't got any myself as I do not sell anything. My own used stuff I'll be listing that are leftover from my upgrade process doesn't count and not listed yet anyways.

(s) I am quite happy that you are not in the medical or scientific communities as your remote, unseen diagnostic magic is incredible & astounding if not Gobsmacking. (/s)

Have yourself a Great Day

I never said you were paid, there's nothing wrong about that either way anyways.

I barely did the start of a diagnostic, as as you've said we can't do more for now.

Please don't be angry, we can stay calm and agree to disagree ;)

Sure we can disagree, all good.
I only got into this thread because topic was Chargery BMS related and thought maybe I could help.
Unwatching Now.

Back