diy solar

diy solar

Chargery Fustration

The last few updates changed somewhat how SOC worked .... with 4.04, it should track pretty good once it starts working for the first time. Low current tracking is improved, but still not as good as something like the Victron shunts. I forget now if it is .5 amps or 1 amp for the lowest current that will be counted.
Those battery full and battery empty numbers can be adjusted also.
Swapping the 2 BMS in and out will probably mess with this too.

The last few updates changed somewhat how SOC worked .... with 4.04, it should track pretty good once it starts working for the first time. Low current tracking is improved, but still not as good as something like the Victron shunts. I forget now if it is .5 amps or 1 amp for the lowest current that will be counted.
Those battery full and battery empty numbers can be adjusted also.
Swapping the 2 BMS in and out will probably mess with this too.

Manual mentions storage mode as charge/discharge <1A, so I would put my money there.

Thanks for your help. We've continued via text, and he finally hit HVD on one cell, so it's getting there.

One thing that confused me is he enabled balancing initially, and that's what was causing the DCC to cycle on and off even when his cells were < 3.4V. Once balancing was disabled, the DCC stayed closed.

Manual mentions storage mode as charge/discharge <1A, so I would put my money there.

Thanks for your help. We've continued via text, and he finally hit HVD on one cell, so it's getting there.

One thing that confused me is he enabled balancing initially, and that's what was causing the DCC to cycle on and off even when his cells were < 3.4V. Once balancing was disabled, the DCC stayed closed.
That's a new one on me .... Haven't heard of balancing causing issues like that.

I'm sure the storage mode amp changed with one of the last updates .... but I don't remember details right now. Pretty sure Jason answered some questions about that in the Chargery update thread. Some of those changes may have happened after 4.02 and the manual hasn't been updated since then.

There is some info in post 103 and maybe others about changes in the measuring capabilities that came along with 4.02.

Current.png

@RobRoy I just caught this thread after responding to another regarding a Chargery. Here is a link to my other response, some of which will likely apply to you as well. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sunny-island-chargery-issue.22177/post-261920

Let me be clear on a few points.
SOC readings on the Chargery SUCK ! Plain & simple, we have tried to address these several ways but no joy. Many other BMS' also have similar issues but let's not go there. With the latest firmware & using external power to the BMS makes things considerably better.

The SOC will be initially 100% when you cycle the BMS power, this is normal, as it has no clue to its actual state, therefore once the battery pack is fully charged, then you power-cycle the BMS so it get's a read on what 100% "is".
NOTE (noone mentions this ever): Make sure the surface of the Shunt is CLEAN (no wax/oils and it does have a coating) where the wires are connected, wipe it off with rubbing alcohol. (Nail polish cleaner acetatone is good too).
The SOC readings need to go through charge/discharge cycles before it's of value (applies to most BMS' as well).

IF USING CHARGERY SUPPLIED SHUNT you do NOT need to recalibrate the BMS, that is only required if using a different shunt than the one supplied. The Chargery's are pre-calibrated to the supplied shunts.

Hope it helps, Good Luck
Steve_S

Hello,
I just like to jump in. I've also got a chargery BMS16T an also struggling with my settings (Version 4.03 not updated yet).

I have a 16S 280AH LiFePo Setup + 300A DCC

May you an explain/confirm this settings to me:

Charge Protection Over Charge Protection(P) Voltage
Over Charge Release(R) Voltage
Discharge Protection Over Discharge Protection(P) Voltage
Over discharge Release(R) Voltage

From your pictures you set:
Over Charge Protection to: 3,65V
Over Charge Release to: 3,55V (Voltage will drop, when you stop charging, right?)
Dischgarge Protection: 2,5V
Discharge Release: 3,1V (Voltage will rise, when there is no load)

Battery AH is: 280AH

WH=Rated battery voltage x battery capacity
Battery WH is: 8x3,65Vx280AH = 8176WH: maximum Energy stored in the system ?

The manual recommend only 3,25V for LiFePo: One LiFe cell, rate voltage is 3.25V, if capacity is 10AH, battery power is 32.5WH
Therefore: 8x3,25Vx280AH = 7280WH - nominal energy?

Reading the SOC Calibration sectino, you should once charge or discharge to the protection limits, after this you can reduce the limits to use just 80% of SOC to extend battery/cell life.

THX

I think I know the answers to your questions above. If I’m wrong someone will correct me ?.

If overcharge is hit at 3.65 the BMS will shut down the system and not let it start up until the voltage drops below 3.55.

If 2.5 is hit the system will shut down until the voltage rises above 3.1. Obviously it will need a charge to make that happen.

I’ve not been impressed with the Chargery SOC calculations. I would consider them a rough estimate at best. A coulomb counting shunt is needed for more accuracy IMHO.

Also, I have seen 3.2v widely used for capacity estimate but 3.25 is close enough.

Here are My Settings with a BMS8T - the 16T is identical.
I use 300A DCC's for all my packs. One QNBBM-8S Active Balancer per battery pack as well. Each BMS draws "external" power from the battery pack LUGS, not the wire harness (adds noise, more noticeable in 16T). And an ISO Board is also between the BMS Main & DCC's.

SettingDefaultMy settingsNOTES
Over charge P Voltage3.653.65
Over charge R Voltage3.553.55
Over charge Current5086A / 150A0.5C rate for 174AH / 280AH
Over Discharge P Voltage3.002.65CUTOFF Trigger
Over Discharge R Voltage2.002.75Release @ this V.
Over Discharge Current300175A / 250A1.0C Rate for 174AH / 280AH
Low SOC cutoff20%0%forces cutoff @ % (faulty)
High Temp cutoff50C70C
Diff of Batt Temp1015C
Diff of cell Voltage30mv200mvUnmatched cells drift,
Temp UnitCC
Key BeeperONON
LCD Backlight1010min
Cut off Delay Time1010S
Current Calibration-SET-
Temp AlarmONON
Cell Empty Voltage2.502.50
Cell Full Voltage4.20?3.65
Default SettingEnable
Balance Parameter-SET- (OFF)*Passive is ON charge only, start at 3.40V, 30mv diff.
Battery Capacity AH1174 | 280Label Value of cells
Battery Power WH10004554 | 7168FORMULA (NominalVolts * #ofCells * RatedAH) (3.2*8*280=7168)
Low Temp cut off in Charge2C2C
Low Temp cut off in Discharge-10-10C

Charging profile for my Midnite Classic-200 Solar Controller, identical settings on my Samlex EVO Inverter/Charger.
All equipment MUST BE Voltage Corrected & Calibrated (VERY IMPORTANT) see link in my signature on how to do it.
Divide Values X2 for 12V. Multiply X2 for 48V.
Absorb: 28.2 for 15 minutes (3.525vpc) (some call this boost)
Equalize: OFF
Float 27.9V (3.4875vpc)
MIn Volts: 22.0 (2.750vpc)
Max Volts: 28.7 (3.5875vpc)
Rebulk Voltage: 27.7 (3.4625vpc)
End Amps: 14A (*1)

(*1): End Amps is calculated from the Highest AH Battery Pack in a Bank. IE: 200AH X 0.05 = 10A 280AH X 0.05 = 14A.
NB: Victron Forum discussion says EndAmps = TailCurrent
This get's the bank charged to full with high amps (Constant Current) and then float (Constant Voltage) tops off so the cells are on average between 3.475-3.500. I am running 7/24/365 so float is used up by the Inverter + provides whatever the packs will take to top off.

** Coulumbic Efficiency for LFP is 99%

Good Luck, Hope it helps,
Steve_S

Hello Steve_S,
thanks for your fast and details replay. I got it now... I think I'm fine with my settings now.

SOC is nice as long your Inverter can handle it...

The Settings:
Cell Empty Voltage2.502.50
Cell Full Voltage4.20?3.65
Are just for the Display. You should ajust them according to your Protection min/max limits

I'll have a look in your links / additional informations... Still have to set my inverter right ;)

THX

SOC - State of Charge is MOOT to an SCC or Inverter. They only see Voltage & Amps in/out. With Lithium being MilliVolt Sensitive unlike lead, the devil IS in the details.

LFP MAX Cell voltage is 3.650 but the working voltages are max at 3.500 with genuine true Grade-A cells.
Pushing the cells to 3.65 = damage due to high constant state of charge. The "Power lives" between 3.000-3.400 volts per cell.

Back