diy solar

diy solar

Chargery remote cable length?

Ai4px

I'm new... can't find the answer on the threads.... I'm about to buy a chargery 16s unit and want to know the max length of the cable to the remote can be? My batteries are in the basement and I have an existing 40' cable from an older inverter remote already in the walls. Also, whats the connector? is it the small RJ13 used on telephone handset cords?

I don't know the answer to that .... but ... how long do you need it to be?

The remote wire (coiled one) for the LCD->BMS Main module is RJ11 4-Wire and I believe it can go up to 10m/39' as long as there is no EMI/RFI noise. On another device which I had to run a long RJ11 for it's remote, I had to install a ferrite filter block similar to the one shown below.
1613929598738.png

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Steve

The remote wire (coiled one) for the LCD->BMS Main module is RJ11 4-Wire and I believe it can go up to 10m/39' as long as there is no EMI/RFI noise. On another device which I had to run a long RJ11 for it's remote, I had to install a ferrite filter block similar to the one shown below.
View attachment 37977

Hope it helps, Good Luck.
Steve
Perfect... found a shielded rj11 on amazon.

Hey, I saw a post here somewhere about a new version of the chargery that does active balancing... do you know when it's coming out?

Here's my old inverter controller mounted up by the coffee maker in kitchen. It ran off RJ451613931762925.png

The current Chargery BMS are only capable of 1.2A Passive Balancing which is useless for large cells especially unmatched & unbatched ones. The new models (P Series) were in testing & being thrashed in January and Jason was hoping to release them before CNY but held off (I dunno why). I would hope to see them come available pretty soon, they've put a lot of work into them and Active Balancing is only one item. CanBus, RS232/485 Comms and more are coming with the new series.

I may actually switch my "fleet" of BMS's up to the P series which would allow me to eliminate the QNBBM-8S Active Balancers from all my battery packs. I don't think I'll be involved in the manuals / docs for the new version but one never knows, depends on what info I am provided with and if members will be nice about it or not. The old "no good deed goes unpunished" adage was reaffirmed with the last manuals, so I am not sure I want to be a target again for a few ding-a-lings with "challenged attitudes". I guess that bridge is coming up fast so the crossing will be soon enough and a decision will have to be made then.

The current Chargery BMS are only capable of 1.2A Passive Balancing which is useless for large cells especially unmatched & unbatched ones. The new models (P Series) were in testing & being thrashed in January and Jason was hoping to release them before CNY but held off (I dunno why). I would hope to see them come available pretty soon, they've put a lot of work into them and Active Balancing is only one item. CanBus, RS232/485 Comms and more are coming with the new series.

I may actually switch my "fleet" of BMS's up to the P series which would allow me to eliminate the QNBBM-8S Active Balancers from all my battery packs. I don't think I'll be involved in the manuals / docs for the new version but one never knows, depends on what info I am provided with and if members will be nice about it or not. The old "no good deed goes unpunished" adage was reaffirmed with the last manuals, so I am not sure I want to be a target again for a few ding-a-lings with "challenged attitudes". I guess that bridge is coming up fast so the crossing will be soon enough and a decision will have to be made then.
I saw a few posts thrashing you. Yes indeed no good deed.. lol. I'm pulling trigger on Monday for 48 LFP cells and they'll be on the slow boat from china, so I'll have a few months to settle on a BMS. To be honest, I'm torn on waiting... nothing specific here but back inthe 90's in my ham radio hobby I got hit with the first buyer's tax several times and really felt it when bugs were exposed. Should I wait for a new P series and it's potential bugs or go with tried and true? I'm really itching for active balancing. Also, I'm really itching to run the house off a raspi PI using node red . A little background.... 16.5kw system that makes 13kwp due to poor roof pitch. I'm 100% ac coupled now but I'm going to change that to 2 morning star 600v 3kw charge controllers and use 10kw for ac coupling (Its complicated and I know it). My plan is to have the raspi talking to the BMS as well as the sunny island inverters to keep tabs on loads in the house. It'll be the HVAC thermostat. If we need to start the HVAC compressor, I'll just wait for the loads in the house to drop below 3kw. Also we have EVs and if I setup a MQTT server on the PI, I can have the tesla HPWC car chargers controlled by the PI as well... to slow charging as needed or to disable is battery is below so threshold.

Wes

It beggars belief you got a hard time for trying to make improvements....just know, many folks on here appreciated your inputs.

grins you been sneakin about.
I'm also playing with Raspi's, Node-Red and such to interact with my Midnite Classic SCC & Samlex Inverter and have things tied to the Chargery RS232 (not what I really wanted) hence why my hopes are towards the P series with bidirectional CanBus. Would have preferred ModBus as that is what I use for the Midnite & Samlex. BEFORE ANY ASKS: The Samlex ModBus Protocol Stack is NOT Public and I cannot release it as I have a developer NDA.

About the P series.
Jason is incorporating a lot of things into the new generation, they will cost a bit more (I dunno how much yet) because of all the extras in them. He is seriously thrashing them before release to make sure they are right, I know he's already "gone back to the design board" on a couple of things, made changes and started retesting everything again... I'm pretty sure they will be solid when released, will they be perfect ? Well with all the possible combinations for configs and use cases no single BMS is the answer to all cases and needs. Inevitably some will be unhappy, there are always some that think their specific "need or want" is what applies to everyone and they should be prioritized...

It beggars belief you got a hard time for trying to make improvements....just know, many folks on here appreciated your inputs.
Yes, a large portion of folks appreciated the Englishified and clarified docs but there are the Wizbag geniuses who are never happy regardless, who only seem to take pleasure in pissing into everyones soup and spreading their misery wherever they go. My patience for that sort of stuff is NIL, I help because I want to make thing better in a general sense for everyone and being that these are my "final days" (thanks to terminal cancer) I'm not about to waste my time for the ungrateful & haters out there. It's also one of the reasons I have pulled back from helping on this site as I don't care for the aggravation potential and I hate repeating myself... Rule of 3 applied, 3 shots and that's it, that's all, move foreward past it.

ANother question if you don't mind.... I'm weighing best practices with practicality.... I'd like to make a 16s3p 280ah battery. I can use a 300 amp chargery and have all three strings in parallel. Problem is, if one cell fails I won't know which of the three it is. The other way is to order a 300amp chargery because it comes with a 300amp shunt and hook two other 100amp chargery BMSs up with no shunt used or piggy backing off the same 300amp shunt.

This of course raises a few questions...
1)how to easily logic AND the three units to the DCC
2)Can all units piggy back on one shunt?
3)Can I use a multipole rotary switch to connect one control unit to the 3 BMS units?

I think I prefer to run one of the units as master with the 300amp shunt for current measurement and the other two simply for balancing the additional strings and no current measurement for them. I'd work out making sure any of the three could kill the contactor. What's appealing about this is that it would be the same comm's protocol to talk to all three units. Unless of course Jason wants to make the units all interconnectable (hint hint).

ANother question if you don't mind.... I'm weighing best practices with practicality.... I'd like to make a 16s3p 280ah battery. I can use a 300 amp chargery and have all three strings in parallel. Problem is, if one cell fails I won't know which of the three it is. The other way is to order a 300amp chargery because it comes with a 300amp shunt and hook two other 100amp chargery BMSs up with no shunt used or piggy backing off the same 300amp shunt.

This of course raises a few questions...
1)how to easily logic AND the three units to the DCC
2)Can all units piggy back on one shunt?
3)Can I use a multipole rotary switch to connect one control unit to the 3 BMS units?

I think I prefer to run one of the units as master with the 300amp shunt for current measurement and the other two simply for balancing the additional strings and no current measurement for them. I'd work out making sure any of the three could kill the contactor. What's appealing about this is that it would be the same comm's protocol to talk to all three units. Unless of course Jason wants to make the units all interconnectable (hint hint).
1 shunt per BMS, 1 BMS per battery pack of 16 cells.
Each battery pack in a bank should be able to act as a Standalone and be capable of carrying the full Load Demand & Charge Capacity.

My own system uses four BMS8T-300's with 300A shunt & 300A DCC for each battery pack. Any single battery pack can handle the full Charge Capacity or full Load demand. They run to the DCBUS which is connected to another Shunt MOnitor that watched the entire battery bank for a full system status view. Mine delivers that info via the Midnite Solar Controller and its Shunt & WizBangJR monitor & software.

Take a look at the "About my System" link in my signature to get a view of the setup.

Commonly know as a telephone extension cord to us old farts. Not a network cable.
NO, telephone cable is usually rj11 with the centre 4 pins used, this connector is only 4 pins (sometimes the handset end was rj9)
i had to buy it locally

NO, telephone cable is usually rj11 with the centre 4 pins used, this connector is only 4 pins (sometimes the handset end was rj9)
i had to buy it locally
Sorry about that, I should probably stop commenting on a BMS that I don't own.

Back