diy solar

diy solar

Chargery V4.00 update

Cal

Solar Addict
Installed the new 4.0 software. Very nice that cell resistance is included.

At 135A load, cell resistance is 0.4, 0.3, 0.3, 0.3 mOhm, for a total of 1.3 mOhm.

Here's a plot of charging for about an hour at 5 A, then space heater load is applied at 85A, followed by space heater at 135A.

AH axis is on the right side and current on the left side.

Battery capacity is 180Ah.

The BMS is the primary OVD. It is set at 3.48V with a reset at 3.36V. Charging is terminated after 60 minutes of solar at 5A. In the previous software version I would see oscillations as charging turns on and off. This problem appears to be corrected. Though further testing is necessary.

TestV3.0.jpg

@Cal with the updated firmware are you seeing accurate readings when compared to a meter, cells volts, amps, etc?

My Fluke 77 meter might not be accurate enough to determine accurate readings for cell voltages.

I get a Fluke reading of 3.35V for all 4 cells while Chargery reads 3.359, 3.371, 3.365, 3.356V

There is a discrepancy in battery voltage:
Fluke: 13.43V
BMS: 13.47V

I'm having a problem getting the SOC setup. Battery power needs to be entered in setup. For a 180AH battery, power is 13V * 180AH = 2340 WH. This value needs to be entered in "battery power" setup. The initial display shows -63196 WH. This needs to be changed to 2340WH. The up arrow will not get the displayed quantity to increase. It remains steady. The down arrow will decrease the quantity. It is now at -65289 WH. The up arrow works for other settings.

My Fluke 77 meter might not be accurate enough to determine accurate readings for cell voltages.

I get a Fluke reading of 3.35V for all 4 cells while Chargery reads 3.359, 3.371, 3.365, 3.356V

There is a discrepancy in battery voltage:
Fluke: 13.43V
BMS: 13.47V

I'm having a problem getting the SOC setup. Battery power needs to be entered in setup. For a 180AH battery, power is 13V * 180AH = 2340 WH. This value needs to be entered in "battery power" setup. The initial display shows -63196 WH. This needs to be changed to 2340WH. The up arrow will not get the displayed quantity to increase. It remains steady. The down arrow will decrease the quantity. It is now at -65289 WH. The up arrow works for other settings.

@Cal I have one being shipped and guessing the firmware is the older version. Sounds like the arrow issue for setting the AH could be a show stopper in upgrading to 4.0.

I'm sure this will be resolved in a short time. There are two problems with battery power setup.
1. can't change initial setting to more positive numbers
2. up/down arrow is action missing turbo mode

I'm sure this will be resolved in a short time. There are two problems with battery power setup.
1. can't change initial setting to more positive numbers
2. up/down arrow is action missing turbo mode
first update main unit and LCD unit to V4.0, the BMS all parameters must resume default, so the WH and AH can be setup.
please down load update instructions and read carefully before update.
Resume default.png

Reactions: Cal
You're right Jason, I need to follow instructions. It might be good to highlight in red "Enable default settings before entering AH capacity and Power rating".

For those who made the same mistake, don't need to re-load V4.00. Just enable default setting, followed by entering AH and WH data.

It's not clear if shunt calibration changes to factor setting. I suspect it does.

You're right Jason, I need to follow instructions. It might be good to highlight in red "Enable default settings before entering AH capacity and Power rating".

For those who made the same mistake, don't need to re-load V4.00. Just enable default setting, followed by entering AH and WH data.

It's not clear if shunt calibration changes to factor setting. I suspect it does.
thanks for your understanding and support, "Enable default settings" is Enable all parameters setting on Program Setup menu but don't include shunt calibration data and cell voltage calibration data.

Jason,

can we get an indication of whether the relays are open/closed?
can be on a new page

The current does not go negative (below 0) when there is a net load.
If I am charging with say 6amps, and turn on a 4amp load, the current reading drops to 4amps. All good. However if I turn off the charging so that there are 0 amps, and turn on the 2a load, the current stays at 0amps.
Has anyone else tested this.?
Could be an easy fix in the firmware.

Has anyone installed Chargery V4.00 using Windows 7 OS? I have made several attempts using 2 different laptops but even though everything looks OK and follows the instructions the install always times out. Thankfully no changes were made to 3.0.3. Now I wonder if it requires a Windows 10 computer.

I have doen it with a VM using linux so I think it is possible do you have the latest updater? You cant use the one from the instructions.
Craig, I downloaded Update_Tool_V1.0.3 from the Chargery website along with the 2 BMS16T update files. I also downloaded the referenced USB Driver for Windows and installed that into my laptops but the results were the same - timeout.

For closure, the problem was a corrupted file. Either the zip download or the extraction was imperfect. Repeating the download process resulted in no issue with upgrading to 4.0 using a Win7 OS laptop.

Just for people apprehensive of doing the update: I upgraded four bms8t's and their lcd's last week painlessly.

Followed the guide on chargery's site.

I put the main unit and lcd images in different folders just so I didn't cross flash them.

Hp 840g2 laptop, W10 x64 fully patched.

Back