diy solar

diy solar

Charging 48v of 4x12v

chilling65

Hi,

Can I use a 4x 12v charger (like Noco's GENPro10x4) to charge four 12v batteries connected in series, WITHOUT disconnecting the batteries? Or is it better to use a 48v charger (such as the GENPro10x4)?

This is for a 48v outboard motor, in which I plan to use four 12v batteries in series. Eventually I'm hoping to add a solar charging component.

My preference is for the first option because they're available waterproof and best for on-board install.

Thanks

Last edited:
Our Noco failed and does not have any settings or anyway to adjust parameters. Ours was always hot and never sent much power to the batteries if any at all. It’s great for simple 12v plug and walk away. They seem to get there price tag from the unit it self being water proof. You want a charger that gives you options. We need some help too. We have no way to charge 12v from 48v. I was thinking of using Xantrex 12v charger the manufsaid they don’t charge or recommend charging lithium. Next option is using an Outback flex 80 to charge the 12v from the 48v bank. I am kind of stuck right now because we are on a boat.

Our Noco failed and does not have any settings or anyway to adjust parameters. Ours was always hot and never sent much power to the batteries if any at all. It’s great for simple 12v plug and walk away. They seem to get there price tag from the unit it self being water proof. You want a charger that gives you options. We need some help too. We have no way to charge 12v from 48v. I was thinking of using Xantrex 12v charger the manufsaid they don’t charge or recommend charging lithium. Next option is using an Outback flex 80 to charge the 12v from the 48v bank. I am kind of stuck right now because we are on a boat.
Sorry to hear that. I ended up being a four bank charger from the same company that manufactured my batteries: Voltium. They're a smaller outfit in a suburb of Montreal...not sure if that's an option for you. The unit is fully sealed and nicely tucked under a bench on my boat.

Seperate batteries so they are 12V, then use the waterproof Victron IP65 charger.

Ugh! Not a single person actually answered your question, which is the same question I have. "Can you use a 12v battery charger designed for multiple 12V batteries to charge individual 12V batteries while they are in series"? Can someone please answer that question? His question wasn't asking what charger to use...

Hi,

Can I use a 4x 12v charger (like Noco's GENPro10x4) to charge four 12v batteries connected in series, WITHOUT disconnecting the batteries? Or is it better to use a 48v charger (such as the GENPro10x4)?

This is for a 48v outboard motor, in which I plan to use four 12v batteries in series. Eventually I'm hoping to add a solar charging component.

My preference is for the first option because they're available waterproof and best for on-board install.

Thanks
I scanned their user guide and didn't see any wiring examples that showed using it this way .... I suspect that it probably can ... but I would go to their support page and ask that question.

I scanned their user guide and didn't see any wiring examples that showed using it this way .... I suspect that it probably can ... but I would go to their support page and ask that question.
The question has nothing to do with a specific charger. It's a general question about charging batteries individually while they are wired in series. I'm not sure how telling someone to read a manual or go to a support page is helpful at all.

The question has nothing to do with a specific charger. It's a general question about charging batteries individually while they are wired in series. I'm not sure how telling someone to read a manual or go to a support page is helpful at all.
Yes it does ... some may support a different amount of series batteries than others.

Yes it does ... some may support a different amount of series batteries than others.
I am not an EE, but I would say no. You could always be the brave one and just try it and report back your findings, but I do not know anyone who ever did it. Use a 48V charger if you want to keep them in series.

Dual pro makes chargers like that. Essentially they are 4 each chargers in a package.

You wire the 4 outputs to each battery in series.

Not sure about the generic ability to do that.

Hi,

Thanks
I am building a similar arrangement but on a boat that lives on a dock. I'm a EE.
This seems to do it at a stiff price:

Dual Pro Charger 4 Bank 15 Amp - PS4​

Individual chargers needs to allow for a floating ground and in particular the charging ground must not be connected to the case ground or the whole thing would likely short out. I honestly don't know how common that is. The Dual Pro is attractive since it would automagically balance the 12v batteries. But $600 for a 15A charger...

Edit: The Minn Kota 440D also for charging while wired in series. 4 x 10A at ~$325. Noco documentation is very fluffy and does not mention 48v or charging in series. I am not a fan of Noco so I stopped looking.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back