diy solar

diy solar

Charging a 8s 24v 280ah

Hi @bushi12. If you don't mind me asking, how is your EG4 charger working out for you? I'm building a 16s 48v setup and I'm looking for a charger. I will be using an Overkill 16s BMS. Do you just let the EG4 charge it up to its max voltage of 58.4V? Or do you set the Overkill to go into overvoltage protection at a lower voltage? I'm new to this and trying to learn best practices. Thanks!
All I changed on the program was the 3650 to 3550. I didn't mess with the max voltage of 58.4v

Oh I see, you're using the EG4 just to top balance. I have a DC power supply that I was planning on using for this (though much less powerful and will take a little longer even for my 100Ah pack). But my plan is to do the same: bring them up to about 3.55V in series then do the last bit in parallel.
But my application is a little different, it's not for solar. I'm putting these cells in an electric ride-on lawnmower (replacing old AGMs with LiFePO). And so I'm looking for an everyday charger, not just for top balancing. Do you think it's ok to routinely let the Overkill to set the top voltage?
Thanks for the quick response!

View attachment 68503
This one. I changed it to 3550.

Oh I see, you're using the EG4 just to top balance. I have a DC power supply that I was planning on using for this (though much less powerful and will take a little longer even for my 100Ah pack). But my plan is to do the same: bring them up to about 3.55V in series then do the last bit in parallel.
But my application is a little different, it's not for solar. I'm putting these cells in an electric ride-on lawnmower (replacing old AGMs with LiFePO). And so I'm looking for an everyday charger, not just for top balancing. Do you think it's ok to routinely let the Overkill to set the top voltage?
Thanks for the quick response!
I don't have much knowledge in this as well but I know these BMS are very popular with solar applications. They have to constantly stop a over charge to protect the batteries. I would ask some of the other people that helped me on this thread. They have alot more knowledge. But I think it would. It would at least stop a problem that comes up. Then you'd have to figure out why.

Back