diy solar

diy solar

Charging Batteries via Shore Power

GrizzlyBarrie

Hey everyone,

Just recently finished connecting my system in an 18 ft. Camper. All I have left is to connect the solar panels. My question is should I connect the 12V from the panel to the DC to DC charger in order to charge the batteries while on shore power?

My system is:
-50A Renogy DC-DC Charger w/ MPPT
-Giandel 2200W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
-Go Power! TS-30 ATS
-Renogy 100W Solar Panel x2
-Alberta Lithium 12V 100Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery x2

I have connected the 12V from my vehicle alternator so that it will charge the system while we drive. When I connected the ATS I cut the shore power incoming to the panel in half and connected each end accordingly in the box, then brought in power from the inverter and connected that. I'm wondering if I should run a wire from where the 12V is connected on the nose of the trailer for the lights to the Charger so that I'm charging the batteries while on shore power as well. My concern is creating unnecessary loops as wiring diagrams seem to be impossible to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Your post is a little confusing to me. Usually you would charge the house battery of your camper from shore power with the converter charger that is standard on an rv. If your converter charger does not have a stetting for Lifepo4 you can upgrade to one that does. You also can increase the charge rate at the same time if you wish. It’s my understanding that a dc to dc charger does not increase voltage and will essentially not charge if the alternator is not involved in supplying it’s power.

I'm assuming that would be inside the panel? How would I find out information on my converter charger? I would also assume that it doesn't have a Lifepo4 setting as it seems like a lot of things on this camper is pretty bare minimum despite being a 2022 model. Thanks for the reply.

I'm assuming that would be inside the panel? How would I find out information on my converter charger? I would also assume that it doesn't have a Lifepo4 setting as it seems like a lot of things on this camper is pretty bare minimum despite being a 2022 model. Thanks for the reply.
What make is your trailer?

Unless you upgraded the wiring, you probably won't see the charging current you expect over the 7 pin trailer connector.

Can you add pictures of how you wired the shore and inverters? It sounds like you may have done something dangerous.

Back