diy solar

diy solar

Charging electric dinghy from electric boat

chrisblask

Hi folks!

Mark Twain is the mothership with solar and a lithium battery bank, Old Faithful is it's dinghy with a lithium battery that charges from Mark. Right now we've got just a DeWalt charger powered by Mark's AC inverter charging Old Faithful, obviously not efficient.

I see DC to DC chargers, but always in the context of alternators. Any thoughts on what the best way to charge batteries from a battery bank might be?

-thanks!

-chris

IMG_20210516_080726087_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210517_070524265_HDR.jpg

See other thread on same topic. Sterling power makes a 24V to 12V charger that will charge around 70Ah max.

We use these all the time for exactly this use case. Only downside is they are not waterproof and Sterling doesn't make a full waterproof version.

Very typical for charging tenders and jet-skis on large vessels that are 24V systems.

Thanks!

Those seem to be about $300 while this Victron 70A converter is $140, good brand and good price. If I can ask, what is the reason to use the Sterling?

Thanks!

Those seem to be about $300 while this Victron 70A converter is $140, good brand and good price. If I can ask, what is the reason to use the Sterling?

The Sterling is a proper charger.

The victron you link is a DC to DC convertor. It is not a dedicated charger.

Back