diy solar

diy solar

Charging Li Ion with regular power supply

avdept

I have small battery pack like 3s7p, Li Ion, which has 12.6v at max charged. I also have Daly BMS managing the pack. However I don't have 12.6v charging power supply. Can I charge it with 16v power supply? Is it safe(assuming BMS will cut off charging when battery pack reaches 12.6v) ?
Sorry for silly question, but I haven't figured that yet.

small battery pack like 3s7p, Li Ion, which has 12.6v at max charged. I also have Daly BMS managing the pack.
7P3S? (3S7P would require 7 BMSs)
Is it safe(assuming BMS will cut off charging when battery pack reaches 12.6v) ?
Do you have a 3S BMS?
What does the BMS specs say?
And you should NOT use a BMS as a charge controller. Its a battery safety device. Asking a Daly to protect your battery after abusing it this way is not very wise.

7P3S? (3S7P would require 7 BMSs)

Do you have a 3S BMS?
What does the BMS specs say?
And you should NOT use a BMS as a charge controller. Its a battery safety device. Asking a Daly to protect your battery after abusing it this way is not very wise.
Yeah its 3s(only series needs level measurement, parallel always stays same voltage).

Generally it's not about BMS, its about getting proper power supply for charging. Usually power supplies comes with regular voltage like 12, 24, etc, but for cases of custom battery packs it can be something like 12.6 or 25.2, and I'm not sure how people comes up with different charging solutions for different battery packs

and I'm not sure how people comes up with different charging solutions for different battery packs
Many solar charge controllers allow the creation of custom battery charging profiles.
It sounds like you want to use a power supply instead of a battery charger?

Many solar charge controllers allow the creation of custom battery charging profiles.
It sounds like you want to use a power supply instead of a battery charger?
Right. I'm just wondering how do people do when they need various charging voltages. Do they keep separate power supply for each voltage, or there's some with adjustable output voltage? If so - what's the name of that PS

Sounds like you need a bench top charger. I do not own one, i do all my charging from solar.
There are a lot of references and some recommendations:

AFAIK bench chargers are relatively low power, like up to 20A or so. I know that's a lot for bench experiments, but not that much for power packs. Even small ones.

And still - what would happen to Li Ion battery if I'd charge it not with 4.2 but with 5v, and then, when battery itself reaches 4.2v I'd stop the charging?

Back