diy solar

diy solar

Charging off generator in RV

Pretty sure the dc wiring for the inverter is already done
3000VA ~= 2400 ac watts
2400 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = 235.294117647 service amps
235.294117647 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 294.117647059 fault amps.
The multiplus is 2400 watts and has a configurable low voltage disconnect.
That said I would use 4/0 awg and a 400 amp fuse for the critical path.

We are talking about the dc distribution circuit which OP has not

And I just realized that with that disconnected I have no DC to enable the AC unit. I'm assuming it switches between Microwave and AC to prevent an overload. Now I have to figure out if I should remove the jumper or not. The manual is pretty clear its suppose to be either/or..
You have a power management unit that does exactly what you thought it does.

See, you're figuring it out and will be all back together to go camping this weekend.

Aren't RV's fun??

(Actually I love them but ownership can be time-consuming).

Ok so upstream of the feeder breaker should be your inverter/charger, confirm?
His inverter/ charger (old one) would have intercepted its 120v output circuits after the RV main panel.

Those circuits would all need to be connected directly to the main panel after removal of the old inverter/charger.

@liamlunchtray I guess its time to trace some wires.

Does your RV have a PMU=power management unit?
So at the moment everything is working OK with both the disconnect wire and jumper in place. I'm inclined not to mess with it. The more I think about it, the more I think it's likely switching between AC and Electric water heater. I'll have to investigate further as to where that might be located. This is a pretty compact rig (27', no slides, narrow body) and things are squirreled away all over the place. It can be hard tracing the factory wiring - Unlike a lot of RV's the factory wiring is very tidy and always in conduit or split loom. On our old trailer it was like a rats nest, but you could see where everything was headed...

Back