diy solar

diy solar

Charging parameters for two 12 volt batteries in 24 volt configuration?

PaintBrush

What are the charging parameters for eight Battery Hookup LiFePO4 100ah modules in 8S (creating equivalent of two: 12 volt batteries) in 24 volt configuration with a 24-volt BMS? Do the batteries get charged as 12 volt, or 24 volt?
Or am I confused?

Last edited:
What are the charging parameters for eight Battery Hookup LiFePO4 100ah modules in 8S (creating equivalent of two: 12 volt batteries) in 24 volt configuration with a 24-volt BMS? Do the batteries get charged as 12 volt, or 24 volt?
Or am I confused?

This. The only reason I can think you are confused is that you're familiar with marine systems charging where they commonly use a specialized charger to charge two 12V in series as two 12V instead of one 24V battery.

You don't have two 12V batteries or a 24V battery. You have an 8S LFP battery, so it should be charged accordingly.

8S LFP is 25.6V nominal. That is a good replacement for a 24V Lead-acid system.

You charge your LFP 8S battery to:
Absorption: 27.6-28.8V (3.45 - 3.55V/cell) - low end less stressful to the cells and requires a long absorption phase and will charge to about 98%+, but high end charges quickly and requires short absorption phase.
Float: 27.2V (3.40V - cell) - note that even at the float voltage, an LFP battery will continue to charge until about 95% full.

This. The only reason I can think you are confused is that you're familiar with marine systems charging where they commonly use a specialized charger to charge two 12V in series as two 12V instead of one 24V battery.

You don't have two 12V batteries or a 24V battery. You have an 8S LFP battery, so it should be charged accordingly.

8S LFP is 25.6V nominal. That is a good replacement for a 24V Lead-acid system.

You charge your LFP 8S battery to:
Absorption: 27.6-28.8V (3.45 - 3.55V/cell) - low end less stressful to the cells and requires a long absorption phase and will charge to about 98%+, but high end charges quickly and requires short absorption phase.
Float: 27.2V (3.40V - cell) - note that even at the float voltage, an LFP battery will continue to charge until about 95% full.
OK, thanks for clearing this up for me. I looked all over for the answer before posting and could not find it.

Back