diy solar

diy solar

Charging solar generator with external battery through DC (solar) input

Christopher G

Question: I have a leoch solar generator that came with an alligator clip to anderson connection cable, I was told "don't exceed 35.5V/300W input to charge the power station". The batteries are 25.6V/2048Wh (2-80Ah lifepo4 batteries). How do I go about using an external battery to charge the unit? Can I directly hook up the battery as is, assuming I don't go over the 35.5V? What wattage does a battery put out? I'm a newbie to this, any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Can I directly hook up the battery as is, assuming I don't go over the 35.5V?
Yes, the voltage is the key.
What wattage does a battery put out?
Batteries don't "put out" wattage. Appliances pull power.

If you had a 10,000 gallon water tank and a 1 gallon water tank would you wonder if both could be used to fill a glass with water? All things equal, one simply has more capacity.

I didn’t think so but I’m glad someone who is more familiar with this topic could weigh in. Will the voltage of the battery 12 vs 24 make a difference on charge rate?

Will the voltage of the battery 12 vs 24 make a difference on charge rate?
It would mostly depend on the internal charger. I would think it could charge faster with a higher voltage but who knows what it does internally (it could clip it all to 14V and charge as a PWM controller, i dunno),

You can directly hook up the battery as is as long as voltage is within 10-35.5V. Amp will depend on the cable size/length and should not over 20A.

Back