diy solar

diy solar

Charging speed question

husknbusk

As I think through buying a ready-made battery for my mother and building my own DIY LiFePo battery setup for myself, I'm trying to understand charging speed limitations.

Something like this unit on Amazon only charges at 50 watts from solar. It's 300 watt hours, so if I'm right, that's 300wh / 50w = 0.16 C (correct?). What would be a reason to limit the charging rate so severely?

Then there's a unit like this one, which will charge at 220 watts (120 through the solar /DC input and 100 through the USB-C). That amounts to 622wh / 220w = 2.82 C (yes?). It seems to be "standard" Li ion (so not LiFePo) but I'm guessing the same logic applies (again, please correct me if wrong).

That's like an order of magnitude in different charge rates; any ideas what might explain these different choices?

For my DIY build, I notice that the MPPT charge controllers just basically specify a max amperage (smallest I find on Amazon is 10 amps), which at 12v is 120 watts. My solar panel is 120 watts, so I'm inclined to believe that any LiFePo battery with at least 120 wh of capacity can safely charge at the full 120 watts?

I'm asking because although I understand the emphasis on capacity, I will mostly be using my setup to be nimble and mobile when it's sunny out, and I have a 120 watt solar panel, so I regardless of the battery's capacity, at a minimum I need it to be able to pass all of the power coming off of my panel through to my devices and charge with any excess. I'd hate to be "throwing away" good solar capacity.

Thanks for any tips on this!

C charging rate is the current.
I.E. Battery with 100Ah, at 0.1C charging will be = 10A of charging current, so it will take 10 Hours to charge empty battery to full 100Ah.

well small, cheap, and get what you pay for. VERY unlikely to last.

So is there a safe max charge speed? Can you charge at 0.5C? 1C? 10C? 100C?
Look at the spec of the LiFePO4, most of them will have max charging current rate of 1C. What is the spec of your battery?
And if you have BMS, the BMS will also have charge and discharge spec for the current.

This is helpful, and it makes sense that this would be part of a battery's spec sheet. Thanks for the tipoff.

it would seem like of the two units on Amazon I linked to above that the first is overly slow and the second has something fishy going on.

Or maybe not fishy. It occurs to me that cell phones routinely fast charge their lithium batteries at a few times the value of C, so I suppose I dont' know enough about the unit to be suspicious.

there are many factors that drive the max charging rate.
The battery internal wiring, resistance of mosfets, ability to dissipate internal heat, and then the battery chemistry/construction itself.

Back