diy solar

diy solar

charging start batteries

trvsndrsn

I have a toy hauler that i have converted to lithium batteries. I have 4 100 ah lithium batteries. 400 watts of solar. 90 amp lithium charger. 1000 watt inverter. 5500 watt onan generator with 2 lead acid batteries.

I want to be able to charge the lead acid batteries that are for starting the generator from the lithium battery bank. The generator has no output to charge its own start battery. I looked at a few dc to dc chargers and they all seem to have an ingnition wire that doesn't work for my application. Could I use a solar mppt charger as a dc to dc converter. Just connect the input to lithium bank instead of solar panels?

My generator has an auto start that will start at a voltage I set. The rv has a 90 amp lithium charger that will begin to charge the lithium bank. also have a mppt 400 watts solar charger connected to the lithium bank. could I add a second mppt solar charger to charge the lead acid batteries.

Solar MMPPT charger maybe...
If it definitely has a built in maximum current limit it should work.
If no current limit, the software will find it can just keep on increasing the power trying to find a peak until it melts down.

Normal solar panels are themselves power limited by how much sun there is and the size/rating of the panel.
A battery has no such limit on sourcing power.

Solar controllers often say something like 4Kw maximum of panels.
What happens if you fit 8Kw or 12Kw of panels or a battery to it ?
Might be o/k and might not be o/k.
Difficult to really know, what they mean by a "maximum".

This thread is a duplicate of the thread found here:

Back