diy solar

diy solar

Charging w a 180amp Leese Neeville combine whizzer

Cronk

First post. Researched the whole forum (lie) and wondering how to do use this whiz bang alternator to charge a future Lipo pack in a floating RV without spending $600 :/

While not busy carrying charriots today, I was thinking. What do I need a charge controller on the alternator for? The solar can has a nice MMPT controller and it puts out enough (25A) to complete the charge and do all that nifty mmpt stuff

I just want the alternator to whack a bulk charge in there right quick while Im busy annoying the neighobors with clouds of black diesel fumes. Once the bulk is done, I can just depower the alterntor field windings and turn it off basically.

I cannot be the first underpaid charriot carrier to think of this?

First post. Researched the whole forum (lie) and wondering how to do use this whiz bang alternator to charge a future Lipo pack in a floating RV without spending $600 :/

Assume by LiPo you are NOT referring to Lithium Polymer - typically pouch cells. If you are, please don't.

Many DC-DC are < $300.

While not busy carrying charriots today, I was thinking. What do I need a charge controller on the alternator for? The solar can has a nice MMPT controller and it puts out enough (25A) to complete the charge and do all that nifty mmpt stuff

Almost all MPPT controllers require an input voltage notably higher than battery. They are step-down DC-DC converters.

I just want the alternator to whack a bulk charge in there right quick while Im busy annoying the neighobors with clouds of black diesel fumes. Once the bulk is done, I can just depower the alterntor field windings and turn it off basically.

the problem is that "bulk" on a LFP battery is CRAZY long. Almost all charging occurs below 14V. That's the concern with them... their absorption phases are very short, and will gobble all your alternator output.

I cannot be the first underpaid charriot carrier to think of this?

First I've heard of manually controlling the field coil.

Assume by LiPo you are NOT referring to Lithium Polymer - typically pouch cells. If you are, please don't.

Many DC-DC are < $300.

Almost all MPPT controllers require an input voltage notably higher than battery. They are step-down DC-DC converters.

the problem is that "bulk" on a LFP battery is CRAZY long. Almost all charging occurs below 14V. That's the concern with them... their absorption phases are very short, and will gobble all your alternator output.

First I've heard of manually controlling the field coil.
LiPo4 or some such yet to be determined cells from china. My next question, but i will reads a little before I ask this

There are high amp charge controllers available for high output alternators that can control the ouput of this alternator by regulating the field windings I am told. but they are beyond my budget.

I might be able to mimich this with an arduino and a current/voltage sensor for $30 but it will be clunky.
My hope is that if I just ceiling limit the alternator at some sensible level, I can let the solar charger take over the complicated stages after bulk charging.

This alternator can put out its rated current when hot, unlike car alternators designed for lead acid technology, that can only put out their ratd current when cold. For them, Lithium cells are deadly. This bad boy is fine all day long at its rated output.

What voltage does bulk require on LiPo4 cells? Im told this can be done without a DC/DC converter with this alternator and the expensive alternator controller

LiPo4 or some such yet to be determined cells from china. My next question, but i will reads a little before I ask this

LiFePO4 is more accurate. LFP for short.

There are high amp charge controllers available for high output alternators that can control the ouput of this alternator by regulating the field windings I am told. but they are beyond my budget.

Didn't know that.

I might be able to mimich this with an arduino and a current/voltage sensor for $30 but it will be clunky.

That would be awesome and many might be interested. Check out the Home Brew section when you want feedback:

My hope is that if I just ceiling limit the alternator at some sensible level, I can let the solar charger take over the complicated stages after bulk charging.

Might work.

This alternator can put out its rated current when hot, unlike car alternators designed for lead acid technology, that can only put out their ratd current when cold. For them, Lithium cells are deadly. This bad boy is fine all day long at its rated output.

If you have crap wiring between the alternator and battery, like most RVs do, the voltage drop is self-limiting. The alternator may "see" the battery at 14.4V because of the voltage drop and will taper current.

What voltage does bulk require on LiPo4 cells? Im told this can be done without a DC/DC converter with this alternator and the expensive alternator controller

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want a long slow charge, 13.8V - will get you to 98% charge. If you want faster charges, 14.0-14.4.

Back