diy solar

diy solar

Charging with dual inverters

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
I have 2 LV6548 inverters running split phase with 6 eg4 batteries

It looks like only inverter number 2 is charging the batteries, both inverters have the same settings.

attached are couple pics from my solar assistant showing inverter 2 charging at about 40 amps and inverter 1 doing nothing

is this normal ? or maybe my inverter 1 has issues ??

Attachments

• solar1.jpg
    solar1.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 12
  • solar2.jpg
    solar2.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 12
I have two Growatts on the same battery. When in boost charging mode, they both charge. But they (because of less then perfect calibration) will read slightly different voltages. Normally one will start to reduce the power going to the battery and then continue to back it down to zero while the other one holds the boost voltage set point. Once in Float mode, if one charger will hold the float voltage above the "re-boost" set point, it will stay with just one charging. This sort of concerned me at first. I would turn off the one that was working and the one that was off would take over. After doing that a few times, I was convinced nothing was wrong and I just let them do their thing. Not sure if yours is acting that way by the information that you provided but what I described seems normal. My most recent observation was my PV input was off and the battery down a bit. I had a light load. I turned the PV on and they both charged up until boost was held for a time, then one backed off, as described above. You might try getting the battery down to 70%, put a load on the system, and then turn the PV on and observe.

According to the pictures, battery is at 68%.
Should be receiving all available charging.
Unless I am reading it wrong.

Can you switch off the PV input to the one that is charging?
yes I did, and the battery started draining and charging stopped.

when I put a heavy load on inverter 1 it draws all the PV needed to carry the load, but does not keep drawing PV to charge the batteries

yes I did, and the battery started draining and charging stopped.

when I put a heavy load on inverter 1 it draws all the PV needed to carry the load, but does not keep drawing PV to charge the batteries
Under these conditions (that you described), what is the battery voltage and what is the voltage for "float" set to? If the battery is at the float voltage and the charger is in float mode, it will not try to charge the battery. but will cover the load. This will be the case even if the state of charge is low enough that you would like to see charging happen. I was observing this recently. It was a result of me putting my float voltage below the resting voltage of a fully charged battery. But with the flat volt curve of LiFePo4, it can be at that voltage and have room to be charged. To satisfy my mind, I shut it all down and turned it back on so it would charge with boost mode again.

Under these conditions (that you described), what is the battery voltage and what is the voltage for "float" set to? If the battery is at the float voltage and the charger is in float mode, it will not try to charge the battery. but will cover the load. This will be the case even if the state of charge is low enough that you would like to see charging happen. I was observing this recently. It was a result of me putting my float voltage below the resting voltage of a fully charged battery. But with the flat volt curve of LiFePo4, it can be at that voltage and have room to be charged. To satisfy my mind, I shut it all down and turned it back on so it would charge with boost mode again.
First problem was I was not correctly setup for split phase, due to sequencing of turning on inverters it was actually in parallel but single phase
fixed that and now are 2p1 and 2p2

took suggestion to increase float voltage from 53v to 54v, bulk charging left at 55v. and both inverters started charging batteries

right now batts show they are at 89 pct and 54v, should I be at baulk charge right now ?

still not clear to me why when float was at 53v only 1 inverter wanted to charge

do you all think charge settings of
bulk 55v
float 54v is a good setting ?

"still not clear to me why when float was at 53v only 1 inverter wanted to charge" Pretend you have the cruise control set on your car at 65MPH. You start up a hill and you notice the speed drops to 63 and someone is right behind you. You push your foot down a bit and give it more gas, and get the speed back up. You top the hill and are now going 67. There is a very slight grade on the other side, but not steep enough that gravity will make you go 65. You are still at 67 so you let off a bit.....66, you let off a bit more....65 you let off some more, still 65, and you let off more and more and finally you are not even touching the pedal. You have lost control because the other controller is managing the speed. That might not be the best example but it is fairly close. For current to flow, a charger must up the output voltage to be higher than the battery. But as the battery charging load or the inverter output load becomes less, the charger must back off so the battery voltage doesn't overshoot. The two chargers are not working together as a unit. One will be in control and other will be doing "something", which might be backing off to the point of doing nothing. That one has reduced its efforts because if it did anything to make more current flow, the battery voltage would to above the setting. This is a long way to describe what Timselectric said.

Under these conditions, if you put more load on the inverter than one charger can deliver, the other charger should come back to life, much like the unhappy driver going 63 MPH. The battery would likely need to get below float setting for this to be observed.

"still not clear to me why when float was at 53v only 1 inverter wanted to charge" Pretend you have the cruise control set on your car at 65MPH. You start up a hill and you notice the speed drops to 63 and someone is right behind you. You push your foot down a bit and give it more gas, and get the speed back up. You top the hill and are now going 67. There is a very slight grade on the other side, but not steep enough that gravity will make you go 65. You are still at 67 so you let off a bit.....66, you let off a bit more....65 you let off some more, still 65, and you let off more and more and finally you are not even touching the pedal. You have lost control because the other controller is managing the speed. That might not be the best example but it is fairly close. For current to flow, a charger must up the output voltage to be higher than the battery. But as the battery charging load or the inverter output load becomes less, the charger must back off so the battery voltage doesn't overshoot. The two chargers are not working together as a unit. One will be in control and other will be doing "something", which might be backing off to the point of doing nothing. That one has reduced its efforts because if it did anything to make more current flow, the battery voltage would to above the setting. This is a long way to describe what Timselectric said.

Under these conditions, if you put more load on the inverter than one charger can deliver, the other charger should come back to life, much like the unhappy driver going 63 MPH. The battery would likely need to get below float setting for this to be observed.
Thanks. right now the batts are 94 pct and are charging at 3 pct per hour using about 10 amps from each inverter, will be watching to see how it charges tomorrow after getting batts down to around 65 pct during the night

When running these in split phase does both inverters need 120 line in for charging to work or can you feed just one unit and use it for charging?
I wired only one unit and it see the 120v but will not charge. Played with battery volt settings etc

Back