diy solar

diy solar

Charging without Solar

Is where wind you can harness? Running water? Pellet stoves work better then wood for generating heat. And you can fill the bin and go all night without needing to add any more fuel.
From what i gather, op has to carry stuff to his area. Probably snowed in.

I have a rpg rocket stove (from, "shtf and go") with a "griddle me that" stainless cooktop thingy, it uses 4 inch stovepipe. That has a pellet hopper option. The thing gets scary hot! It really requires some kind of heat capture device to be cheap on wood or pellets. But for fast super boiling it's pretty good. I mainly use mine to quick boil or cook, multi gallons of water... As i said. It's scary hot. Apx 900+f at the burner area.

If i was to use it inside, I'd want stainless pipes. Luckily they exi$t... However it's kind of a hassle to use with pallets without the large hopper add on. With regular wood it's easy to use. But it doesn't hold much.

The manufacturer says he heats a large area with one using a metal 55 gallon drum with piping inside and filled with sand. It's really heavy.

Tecnodave, to get rid of the auto correct in Word, just do this:

File > Options > Proofing
Then uncheck the features she doesn't want.

1632243381267.png

From what i gather, op has to carry stuff to his area. Probably snowed in.

I have a rpg rocket stove (from, "shtf and go") with a "griddle me that" stainless cooktop thingy, it uses 4 inch stovepipe. That has a pellet hopper option. The thing gets scary hot! It really requires some kind of heat capture device to be cheap on wood or pellets. But for fast super boiling it's pretty good. I mainly use mine to quick boil or cook, multi gallons of water... As i said. It's scary hot. Apx 900+f at the burner area.

If i was to use it inside, I'd want stainless pipes. Luckily they exi$t... However it's kind of a hassle to use with pallets without the large hopper add on. With regular wood it's easy to use. But it doesn't hold much.

The manufacturer says he heats a large area with one using a metal 55 gallon drum with piping inside and filled with sand. It's really heavy.
Hey.....thanks for that lead, Ive never heard of that stove, i definitely will look more at that

Tecnodave, to get rid of the auto correct in Word, just do this:

File > Options > Proofing
Then uncheck the features she doesn't want.

View attachment 65683
Thanks for that, i did not find that.

She just loves Word Perfect, does all her creative writing on it under DRDOS7 and saves to floppy. Very creative writer. Loves the Word Perfect plain white layout with no menu’s at all, you need to ask for them.
walknet to modern winders machine. Don't even try to argue with her, she will not budge....

I do all my programming on same type of machine, under DRDOS7....the most advanced DOS, even Linux scripts. , winders 95 is on the machine and runs fine under DRDOS7 and saves in format that can be used by any machine.

My first machine was an Imsai 8080 with 2 mhz processor and 4k of memory and no dos, no drives, no floppy, etc so i can program in machine or assembly

I just do not need all the whistles and bells

Winders is fine if you need it, saw linux that is where i am going, bit hard to learn the in’s and outs but very much like the unclutteredness of it.

Last edited:
But for the extended weeks of cloud and overcast in the god-awful Canadian winter in my motorhome, I have ordered a K-Tor Power Box 50 so that I can generate some body heat while recharging my batteries with pedal power.

The only thing pedaling for a couple hours will do is make you sweat. Bad when it's cold. You sound like "the little match girl" pretty desperate, or are you just fantasizing? Do you have means?

Hey.....thanks for that lead, Ive never heard of that stove, i definitely will look more at that
They also have a huge version, the liberator. It's similar to a fire + heat barrel area on a rocket mass heater. 300 pounds of steel for more than $1000. It's a complete thing. Just add your own cob vent bench....

This I think you better get one of those K- tor power box thingys for your wife and girl friend ?
you will need it .
I woke up every morning with my pillow and blanket frozen to the wall

It depends how cold it get in your area .
In my old air stream it would stay warm enough with a mister buddy heater running on low . But we wore insulated pants and sweet shirts .
I would get a small generator to use to charge the battery’s with the inverter .
I use 4 5 gallon cans of fuel on average for the winter I fill cans in the fall

Well, wouldn't something like my pressure-cooker/radiator rig be ideal for that?
It doesn't have to be a pressure cooker :·) I just happened to have one handy.
Yes. But the whole idea of mass is to have a thermal battery to save tge heat because the rocket stoves have a short - but super clean and hot - r7n time. Water weighs less than sand but cools much faster.

A system like yours, with a water pipe run through sand would probably be best. But the transfer would have to be inside the exhaust pipe to be safe. My 900°f reading was on the stove metal where the fire comes out. It's probably much hotter in the actual fire.

The pump would have to be able to move that hot of water. It would probably become instant steam otherwise. Maybe a steam type tranfer?

Thanks Mr Sanders, i always go in and shut all that off, what amazes me is that modern computers, phones, tablets do dot seem to pick up another variant, such as engineering lingo that i frequetly use but can remember appleautobutchermyspelling with only typing apple , forgive me apple I used the term once and it remembers that without fail.....lol

lol apple just auto butchered your name...

Well, wouldn't something like my pressure-cooker/radiator rig be ideal for that?
It doesn't have to be a pressure cooker :·) I just happened to have one handy.
Maybe a gravity fed thermosiphon to the exhaust that goes up like a still, then drops like a still condensor coil through the big sand barrel then rejoins the reservoir tank, to be steamed again using gravity?

The thing might EXPLODE... But maybe not. Thing is, it's probably easier to control hot water than hot air. Because the water can cool into the mass via more surface area than just trying to force the smoke down through it.

The pump would have to be able to move that hot of water. It would probably become instant steam otherwise.

Not really - as long as it's constant. I tried convection. It turned to steam. The plate underneath the pressure cooker gets easily to 400ºC.
The water at the pump is almost never above 70ºC. At the radiator, some 60-65 at best. At the return point on the stove, some 50-55 (the tubes run touching each other). You cold have a lot more radiators and not only the temperature drop (which cools the tank) would be higher, but it would heat the place more. Boiling point is 100ºC (and freezing point 0ºC, which is why ºC makes a lot more sense than ºF ;·)
My pump has three speeds. I run it at the lowest because
a) it's enough
b) it's pretty much totally silent

Back