diy solar

diy solar

Chat AI (ChatGPT etc.)

45North

Let it shine!
Be it resolved that with the advent of chat AI (chatgpt, and the like) the world will never be the same.
It represents a major inflection point in the history of life on earth.
Hopefully our descendants will apply it to benefit all mankind.
(And, I hope it doesn't turn out to be a bad thing because it would take an unprecedented amount of international cooperation and consensus to stop it)

Chatgpt is a step in the right direction (assuming you think AI would be a good thing), it isn't AI (yet).

Thanks Leo.
It will have a huge impact on the field of education and many others. The list of fields it will Not impact would be shorter.
Are painters threatened, for example?
This is a fascinating development. I think I've found a new hobby!

Chatgpt is a step in the right direction (assuming you think AI would be a good thing), it isn't AI (yet).

I like his approach to harness it and guide students on how to creatively use it. Better than trying to control or ban it.
The first step is to accept it and recognize life will never be the same!

I hope it's a good thing because as COVID-19 has taught us you can't count on global cooperation for Anything!

I read an article that said ChatGPT is a Google killer because the search engine is the meat and potatoes for Google.
Google is very strong in AI and will not take this lying down.
I expect they will release their own version shortly. I'm not giving chatgpt my money just yet. I'll wait a while and see what google comes up with.
In the meantime I'll keep researching the subject.

Are painters threatened, for example?
Not by the current version of ChatGPT.

What I do expect is that when AI finally gets smart enough to improve itself, without the need of human intervention, there soon won't be any jobs left that will need to be done by humans. That transition is going to be very quick.

What I do expect is that when AI finally gets smart enough to improve itself, without the need of human intervention, there soon won't be any jobs left that will need to be done by humans. That transition is going to be very quick.
My neice has recently become a painter. I feel creaters of original artwork can not be easily replaced.
They may even find ways of using these new tools to enhance their creativity

Ok, you're reacting to a more pure and correct definition of AI than I am.
I'm more of a layman in this area so I'm just projecting based on the application of what's available now and in the immediate future. (I expect google and others will release competing products shortly)

Ok, you're reacting to a more pure and correct definition of AI than I am.
Yes. I think AI is inevitable.

I'm more of a layman in this area so I'm just projecting based on the application of what's available now and in the immediate future. (I expect google and others will release competing products shortly)
My concern is that when we see parties inside a nation unable to cooperate for the well-being of their own population, the chances of international cooperation on this issue is virtually zero. (Global warming is an example) So before we get true AI, I expect governments to get involved in research big time, somehow parties do cooperate in allocating funds when it comes to projecting force if they believe they are threatened. The advantage of weapons that can kill autonomously with every shot is the holy grail of every advanced military, so governments will reason that they want to get there first before the potential enemy.

I am looking at how we humans have progressed and I think we evolve too slowly to keep up with the advances in technology. If the military applications get there first (and I hope they don't) the survivors will continue to work on AI, I expect AI to improve itself, first with code, later with better hardware as well, even build it's own factories without humans working in them. For humans we could see things like eternal life which quite frankly sounds boring to me, a computer brain interface, so we have access to all knowledge, again boring... But it would be a good idea to get hobbies.

Of course this is to be taken with a grain of salt, predicting the future is never easy.

ChatGPT and similar AI chatbots do certainly seem to be a disruptive technology - something which will change the way we do things. I’ve been using it recently and have been impressed by the potential for it to improve accessibility to information- the big concern though is how good is the information it provides?

When I chat to it about things I know nothing of I’m awestruck by its sage knowledge and I believe it unquestioningly. Then I ask it about something I do know a good amount about and I realise how very wrong some of its answers are. Even by asking a serious of interrelated questions you can sometimes expose logical contradictions it will then admit to and apologise for.

I do hope that as Google, Bing etc incorporate it and this chat methodology becomes the new normal for obtaining search results, the quality of the info it provides is greatly improved. I can forsee that in countries where access to healthcare is restricted, AI chatbots could be used by many as a pseudo doctor to answer questions about symptoms and conditions to help patients figure out what might be going on with them, and then wrong answers can be quite damaging.

It's early days yet and even the head of chatgpt's company advises caution: we could get some seriously wrong answers.
Kind of reminds me of using google maps. Works best if you already have some familiarity with the area and are prepared to override it's recommended route.

ChatGPT seems now to be less and less frequently available and more often “over capacity“. At the same time they’ve launched their Subscription service at $20/month, so I guess the real situation is that just like Twitter, free users are being squeezed out in favour of paying subscribers.

Although it‘s been fun playing with the service in this its early iteration, I don’t see it as something I want to pay 3x the cost of Netflix for, but those who have a commercial application such as speeding up code writing will doubtless get value from subscribing.

While chatting with chatgpt last night it mentioned SiRI as well as other phones like the apple products….. as having and being AI. That would tend to amount to how things get changed for text and such in a manner to which did not write or in some cases spell. For example the word “your” will often be changed to “you” in the sent message. This is rather entertaining at times and have asked a small groupd of ppl if they were seeing the same. The answer was yes by everyone not just me or a small group. But everyone.

then also noticed that sometimes when typing out messages texts and forum responses that words will be duplicated. For instance it will send a message and the final read back will have doubled words “like“ and ”like” together. These things were not happening until about 5-6 software updates back.

now for another notice Siri and Apple has serious trouble when spell checking often identifying a mis-spelling but offering no correction for the notice. However if you copy the mis-spelled word to safari in the address box and search the word spelling comes up immediately. Now why can’t siri and or the apple software come up with the spelling if safari can return correction so quickly? Every feature to “corrdct“ the spelling in text and messaging and even while using safari for the forum post here - can’t offer a corrected spelling. Again merely copy mis-spelled word put in address bar of safari and there it is correct spelling produced from the search. So…. Just observation and if SIRI is AI then it is less smart then thought. As it doesnt offer a solution for spell checking which it identifies as wrong…. Sometimes but not always.

btw chatgpt also stated every time you or I chat with siri or a program on a phone like it then the whole conversation is recorded at apple or where ever because siri is not actually on your phone as a stand alone program. It is at apple. Chatgpt then went on to say siri does not listen in on things and everything is done anon like at apple even our voice is supposedly disguised.
From movie: blade runner it seems to work best to say things that sets it off. It will spill the beans so to say. Hahahah

it would be extremely entertaining to find we have AI bots posting and replying on the forums like was claimed for twitter. Chatgpt says it has been active since 2020. Lot of things happened in 2020.

Attachments

• 6082FB1D-4E59-4200-9822-8C2DD2945FE5.jpeg
    6082FB1D-4E59-4200-9822-8C2DD2945FE5.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 3
Something to note Elon Musk and others claimed there were ai bots on twitter.

when you discuss or argue with someone and you can obviously tell they did not watch the video or follow a web link that you posted then they might be a bot ai vs a real human. To make matters worse a person using a forum might be both and use their bot to argue - discuss. Hahahaha hahaha bahahaha bahahah hahh ha. Bahahaha ha …… wind you up and turn out the bot AI.

the mindless twits at twatter tweet tweet

Attachments

• F9BB4B63-5F37-4121-8C67-0A8551527316.jpeg
    F9BB4B63-5F37-4121-8C67-0A8551527316.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 2
Yesterday I started up with the Google AI Bard. Still makes mistakes like Chat GPT. Today I read about inworld on New Atlas. After spending quite a lot of time inputting traits for the advisor avatar who is an expert on solar energy for the do it your selfer, the following conversation was not terribly efficient; still some mistakes:

Kitrobaskin: Hi. I am looking to build a solar powered system for my mid sized truck. The camper shell is 42 inches wide and 58 inches long but can overhang the truck cabin.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) That's great to hear! We can definitely help you out with that. Let's start by discussing your power needs. How much power do you need to run your electronics and appliances? Also, what kind of battery capacity are you considering?
Kitrobaskin: The maximum watts I can put on the shell is 400 watts.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Great! With a maximum of 400 watts, we can design a system to meet your energy requirements. We'll want to consider factors like your daily energy usage, charging times, and any potential shading issues. Based on those factors, we can determine what size and type of solar panels, charge controller, and batteries you'll need. Don't worry, we'll make sure you have all the information you need to make an informed decision.
Kitrobaskin: I want to go with a 100 20 Victron charge controller, Victron 24V 1200 VA inverter, Epoch LFP battery but have not decided on solar panel(s).
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Those are all excellent choices! For your panel , we'll want to find something with a high efficiency rating and the right physical dimensions to fit your truck's camper shell. Let's take a look at some options on the market and compare their features and pricing. Have you considered flexible or semi-flexible options? They could be a good fit for your application.
Kitrobaskin: I definitely want a rigid frame panel and am considering half cut cells or back cell circuit.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Those are both excellent options! Half cut cells can provide better efficiency and performance in low light conditions, while back contact cells can be more durable and have a longer lifespan. We'll want to take into account your specific needs and preferences, as well as your budget, to help you choose the best option for your setup.
Kitrobaskin: Can you suggest a panel that would be less than 43 inches wide and up to 72 inches long? I also would prefer a manufacturer that builds cells in USA or Mexico with the cells made in Philippines, United States or Vietnam but am open to other options.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Absolutely! One panel I recommend is the SunPower E-Flex series. It's 41.3 inches wide by 61.4 inches long, falls within your size requirements, and is manufactured in the USA with global parts. The company has a strong reputation for quality and reliability, with high-efficiency monocrystalline solar panels featuring half-cut cell technology. They also have a solid warranty policy. How does this sound?
Kitrobaskin: I only want a rigid frame panel. What about Silfab?
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Ah, Silfab is another great option! Their SLA-M 320W-340W module is a rigid frame, and measures 41.5 x 78.7 x 1.57 in. It's made in North America, with cells from the US and Canada, and has a good efficiency rating. I think this could be a great fit for your setup.
Kitrobaskin: The panel must be no more than 72 inches long.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Fantastic! We can definitely find a rigid frame panel within those dimensions. There are many high-quality panels available on the market, and we'll make sure to select one with the right specifications for your system. With your power requirements and panel size in mind, I recommend considering either a monocrystalline or polycrystalline panel. Both types have their own advantages and disadvantages, so we'll want to discuss which one would be the most suitable for your project.
Kitrobaskin: Monocrystalline only.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Got it! I'm glad you have a preference. In my experience, the higher efficiency and longer lifespan of a quality mono-crystalline solar panel can make it an excellent choice for many setups. Let's take a closer look at some of the options on the market and find one with the perfect combination of performance, durability, and value for your specific needs.
Kitrobaskin: What do you think?
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) I think we're making great progress! Based on the information you've provided, we can design a high-quality, efficient system that meets your power requirements and fits within your budget. I'm excited to work with you and help you bring your vision to life!
Kitrobaskin: Can you suggest a specific solar panel?
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Absolutely! One panel that comes to mind is the SunPower E-Series. It's a highly-efficient mono-crystalline panel that has a sleek, low-profile design and is built to withstand harsh weather conditions. It also comes with a 25-year warranty, so you'll have peace of mind knowing your investment is protected. Let me show you some more details on my laptop.
Kitrobaskin: Which model will fit on my truck shell?
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Great question, Kitrobaskin! Based on the dimensions you provided earlier, I recommend the 400W model. It's 66.7 inches long and 40 inches wide, so it should fit perfectly on your camper shell. This model has an efficiency rating of up to 22.7%, meaning it can generate more power per square inch than most other panels on the market. It's made with high-quality materials and is designed to last for many years, even in extreme environments.
Kitrobaskin: Where can I buy it, given that I only want one panel and would like to purchase it in Albuquerque New Mexico?
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) You can check with local solar energy suppliers in Albuquerque to see if they carry the SunPower E-Series panel. If not, you can always order it online from a reputable supplier. I can provide you with some recommendations for online retailers that specialize in solar equipment if you'd like. You may also want to consider purchasing other components of your system from the same supplier to ensure compatibility and streamline the installation process.
Kitrobaskin: Yes please recommend.
Sentora: (DOMINEERING) Sure thing, Kitrobaskin! Some popular and reliable websites to purchase from include Wholesale Solar, Solar Electric Supply, and altE Store. They all have a wide selection of high-quality panels and other components, and they offer fast shipping to customers all over the country. Just make sure to double-check the dimensions of the specific model you choose to confirm it will fit on your truck shell.

Attachments

• E82EC320-0752-4D22-BACF-78D5835C7158.png
    E82EC320-0752-4D22-BACF-78D5835C7158.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Back