diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 4kwh LiFePO4 batteries from Batteryclearancewarehouse

So I found a local volunteer today that will be doing a complete breakdown of a unit and upload a video of a unit that they can destroy. That should help get some answers of whats all inside. Still working on getting someone to run through some real world cycle testing that can also be shared.

Today I drove up to "Battery Clearing House" and picked up 2 batteries. I can't believe they are selling them for $297 if you pick them up. I am under the impression these guys are the suppliers for the other resellers.

On one of the units I will be doing a tear down with video and pictures, if you have any special requests let me know and I'll try and accommodate.

The other unit I will be modifying to be a 12v system. These thing are HEAVY and solidly made!

Today I drove up to "Battery Clearing House" and picked up 2 batteries. I can't believe they are selling them for $297 if you pick them up. I am under the impression these guys are the suppliers for the other resellers.

On one of the units I will be doing a tear down with video and pictures, if you have any special requests let me know and I'll try and accommodate.

The other unit I will be modifying to be a 12v system. These thing are HEAVY and solidly made!
where is battery clearing house?

found it ,wow what a price puts everyone else to shame what is your impression
I CERTAINLY wish I had known about them prior to ordering the 4 from battery hookup... I drive past their warehouse every day...

wtf, your kidding, now that is sad, you know what is sad, i have to think about it even at 297 come out to 980 for 2

450 was 100 per kw this is $52.75 kw at peak battery

Last edited:
So I found a local volunteer today that will be doing a complete breakdown of a unit and upload a video of a unit that they can destroy. That should help get some answers of whats all inside. Still working on getting someone to run through some real world cycle testing that can also be shared.
Awesome find! Are they prismatic or pouch cells inside? If the shipping is per order, at $300 a pop I'll be abandoning my plans for direct-from-china individual cells. And I can probably trust they're A cells.
Even if all they have is 4kwh per module it beats the best deal I can find on alibaba. As I plan on keeping them in service for 20 years I do have some concerns about storage conditions and calendar life though.
Please keep us informed about the teardown.

PLEASE let us know as soon as they can get that info posted on the net .. I would really like for someone to verify the nomenclature (mostly the MAKE) of the actual batteries inside the case and it would be great to see the real-world testing results also ... I am pretty excited about this because this will possibility save me more than $1300 overall dealing with you instead of the usual folks .. THX .. Of course in a perfect world you would get Will Prowse to do the breakdown and testing .... all of us here at work love his videos - and although most of us here are electrical engineers and cringe ALLOT at the way he does things - I think he is the best instructor on Solar "stuff" out there.

PLEASE let us know as soon as they can get that info posted on the net .. I would really like for someone to verify the nomenclature (mostly the MAKE) of the actual batteries inside the case and it would be great to see the real-world testing results also ... I am pretty excited about this because this will possibility save me more than $1300 overall dealing with you instead of the usual folks .. THX .. Of course in a perfect world you would get Will Prowse to do the breakdown and testing .... all of us here at work love his videos - and although most of us here are electrical engineers and cringe ALLOT at the way he does things - I think he is the best instructor on Solar "stuff" out there.

Speak For Yourself! :)

The only 'Solar Engineering' I got was a sun burned butt when I was 2!

I'm strictly "Let's Try THIS..." And hope I don't burn my eyebrows off again! ;)

I'm always happy to see actual engineers get involved, check things out, help out the less educated,
But I'm also getting tired of engineers telling me "You CAN'T Do That!" obviously I can (I just loose eyebrows again! ;) )

----------

Seriously,
I'd like to see some real numbers, other than 'BoobTube' videos before I jump in a truck and drive 8 hours.
@ $100 per I would be better off driving than having 6 or 8 (or maybe 10...) shipped.

I CERTAINLY wish I had known about them prior to ordering the 4 from battery hookup... I drive past their warehouse every day...
I too wish I had known of this seller at this price in a location 4 hours away from me. I would have saved myself $800. After I learn some more solid details about these batteries I may consider buying more at this price. I too look forward to the battery breakdown video mentioned earlier.

Does anyone know if the BYD 24v batteries can be mounted in a vertical or on its side orientation?

Does anyone know if the BYD 24v batteries can be mounted in a vertical or on its side orientation?
Mine got delivered today, I will be digging into them soon. Keep in mind these things are HEAVY, so any vertical mounting would have to attach to the heat sinks... can it be done? Probably... but I doubt it SHOULD be done.

Had a phone conversation with the seller today, he said they're power modules from a decommissioned solar plant and that the batts were pulled because the plant was decommissioned - not because they went below their 80% of capacity spec. He went on to say that he has 500 or so now but there are truckloads inbound, and he's the one supplying the other vendors with the exception of Techdirect in California. The shipping is a flat rate per order.

He seemed like a good guy and happily provided as much information as he had, which wasnt much. I asked about buying a spare in case I got a dud and he said not to worry about it.

He also said it's a very bad idea to use the onboard circuit board traces for your balance leads as the circuit traces are far too small to handle the amps that balancing could place on them.

I'm thinking using self-tapping screws directly to the bus bars is probably the best bet. Which also avoids the complexity of messing with the original connectors.

Wish these werent so dang heavy though, I'm gonna have a heck of a time getting a dozen of these down into my basement.

I wonder about the feasibility of removing the cells from the case while keeping them strapped together, take up a lot less room that way too. It'd make doing a 16s6p easier w/ a 16s BMS per stack. Awful lot of BMS's though but it does have the advantage of keeping an eye on each cell.

Last edited:
Maast, I think to remove the green strapping would be a bad idea. The whole pack is compressed and does show sign of a little bulging. I think releasing that stress is going to cause a ton more swelling. I think davepoz has a good way of connecting all the cells in P and just attach a single balancing bms to that. Id avoid the shielded foil wrapped wire however.

Last edited:
Had a phone conversation with the seller today, he said they're power modules from a decommissioned solar plant and that the batts were pulled because the plant was decommissioned - not because they went below their 80% of capacity spec. He went on to say that he has 500 or so now but there are truckloads inbound, and he's the one supplying the other vendors with the exception of Techdirect in California. The shipping is a flat rate per order.

He seemed like a good guy and happily provided as much information as he had, which wasnt much. I asked about buying a spare in case I got a dud and he said not to worry about it.

He also said it's a very bad idea to use the onboard circuit board traces for your balance leads as the circuit traces are far too small to handle the amps that balancing could place on them.

I'm thinking using self-tapping screws directly to the bus bars is probably the best bet. Which also avoids the complexity of messing with the original connectors.

Wish these werent so dang heavy though, I'm gonna have a heck of a time getting a dozen of these down into my basement.

I wonder about the feasibility of removing the cells from the case while keeping them strapped together, take up a lot less room that way too. It'd make doing a 16s6p easier w/ a 16s BMS per stack. Awful lot of BMS's though but it does have the advantage of keeping an eye on each cell.
That is pretty much the same story of origin of these batteries that I got from Bryan at BatteryHookup a few weeks ago. So coming from two different sources, perhaps that this the real story. It still does not explain how come these Ghost Batteries are denied by BYD itself and that there has not surfaced any respectable technical specification sheet or manual for them from any of the several sellers of these batteries.
Edit add: also it seems pretty clear to me now that we should add our own balance wires rather than depending upon the existing BMS traces.

Last edited:
Back