diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 4kwh LiFePO4 batteries from Batteryclearancewarehouse

cant find mfg date, bit has 6/14 on plastic cover doesn't mean that's the mfg date of battery but the plastic that surrounds it. who knows late 2014 early 2015?

Has anyone been able to capacity test these modules?

An additional good info would be their manufacturing date. Discounting some 6 months to commissioning and assuming 1 cycle/day, one could infer a worst (?) case scenario regarding theses modules cycle count.

I'm with you .. seems a little bizarre that all these ppl are building this and that and no one has actually determined if there is any life left in these batteries or not ... Trust me - the Chinese is not going to be swapping out virtually anything that has any life left in it so will be interested to see a real storage or capacity test done ... These guys that are simply taking a voltage reading and saying its all good obviously are NEW to LiFePO4s ...

Am I correct in assuming that using these 24 volt batteries to power a 12volt load(rv is 12 volt) you would get double the amp hours. What would you use to reduce voltage from 24 to 12 volts. Is there a power loss in the reduction.
This would allow me to charge up the batteries at home and go camping for a week or two without having to recharge(i.e. solar) the batteries.
Thanks

Fred.

cant find mfg date, bit has 6/14 on plastic cover doesn't mean that's the mfg date of battery but the plastic that surrounds it. who knows late 2014 early 2015?

So - and yes we are just guessing - but these batteries could already have had 2000 cycles if they cycled daily for the last 5 ... once again why a load/capacity test will be vital ..

Am I correct in assuming that using these 24 volt batteries to power a 12volt load(rv is 12 volt) you would get double the amp hours. What would you use to reduce voltage from 24 to 12 volts. Is there a power loss in the reduction.
This would allow me to charge up the batteries at home and go camping for a week or two without having to recharge(i.e. solar) the batteries.
Thanks

Fred.

Initially there are (8) 3.2v 200aH batteries (when brand new) attached in series to give you 25.6V 200aH. When you get the battery module you need to seperate 4 of them out of series THUS giving you 2 banks of four 3.2V 12V 200aH batteries .. then put those 2 banks in parallel giving you 12v 400aH ... does that make sense? You can actually simply break up the 8 modules into four by taking off one of the buss bars ... BUT there would be no power loss per se running it at 12V 400aH or 24V 200aH

both have said they have done load tests, tech direct club has developed a 130a plug in bms.

WHERE are you seeing that?? Is that actual test or assumptions?? Did they actually do a load test?
trust me I hope they test out well! I only purchased one and have no way to do a load test and I am one of those people who are new to lifepo4. that is why I am here, we have to go solar as it is economically unfeasible to bring in grid power to our property so either run a genset or go solar. If they test out good, my storage problem will be solved. I am thankful there are people here that are testing these who actually purchased them.

both have said they have done load tests, tech direct club has developed a 130a plug in bms.

hmmm - 130aH for a 200aH battery seems to be going in the wrong direction ... if the battery was only capable of 0.5C then OK .. but assuming if these modules were used on a solar farm that we should be looking at 2C (once again I am only going by what ppl have posts as to what these moduels were originally used for)

Please do not cut the green bands/straps unless your plan is totally disassemble the units down to the individual cells.

There is a video online of someone ( Dan ) who went through a complete breakdown if your want to see all the bits...

interesting to see the expansion busbars on these, presumed it was a fuse, after seeing how they could swell without damaging the cell posts.
even on the main post has expansion joints

very smart

I want to see if we got some wack numbers from those with active BMS installed. All my BYD's came with no balancing board. Was balance added to control packs as aged? I would not think we would see a mix of A / P in the same installed system.

Last edited:
I agree
In this sense I am talking about Passive being just watching the cells vs Active that does do balancing on the cells but with external power.

It would seem the tech direct guys see no problem setting these packs upright. I wouldn't. I like the little value add these guys do to get the max return and also usability out of the used packs.
I agree

Just dawned on me, bvd 24v battery.
Actually 16 batteries, paired into 2 so
Why not make it 48v 110ah instead of 24v
220ah
This way you could have 1 byd 48v 110ah
Then build from that

Back