diy solar

diy solar

Cheap 4kwh LiFePO4 batteries from Batteryclearancewarehouse

Delivered on Thursday...

I got my order also, but I didn't order the big BYD's (yet?), just the small LiPo 8ah pouch packs. Fast shipping and well packaged. I've been running various tests on them and aside from 10% being DOA (very expected with used cells) most are testing out close enough to their rated capacity to call them a great deal. I will be making these into various sized batteries for small projects; portable game cams, work lights, jump starter, electric scooter pack etc. and they should do well. I was going to make some larger packs but they don't have a great size/weight to capacity ratio, but they are perfect for smaller projects. One caution is the cells with different #'s on them discharge at much different rates, so a BMS or close monitoring is a must. I may try their 18650 modem packs next for some electric bike packs. Interested to see the test results of the BYD's!

Being as most sellers I see selling the BYD's also have these pouch cells I'm going to guess the pouch cells were used in China electric buses and the big BYD's were used in the bus charging stations. Basically, they store grid (solar???) energy at off-peak rates, then charge the busses at any time with the stored energy in the huge BYD banks...just a hunch.

Wondering, everything that is solar, controllers, inverters all have to be grounded. For safety. Should the byd also be grounded? at least at the heat sinks.

So I found a local volunteer today that will be doing a complete breakdown of a unit and upload a video of a unit that they can destroy. That should help get some answers of whats all inside. Still working on getting someone to run through some real world cycle testing that can also be shared.
Today I drove up to "Battery Clearing House" and picked up 2 batteries. I can't believe they are selling them for $297 if you pick them up. I am under the impression these guys are the suppliers for the other resellers.

On one of the units I will be doing a tear down with video and pictures, if you have any special requests let me know and I'll try and accommodate.

The other unit I will be modifying to be a 12v system. These thing are HEAVY a
So I found a local volunteer today that will be doing a complete breakdown of a unit and upload a video of a unit that they can destroy. That should help get some answers of whats all inside. Still working on getting someone to run through some real world cycle testing that can also be shared.
I have contacted battery clearing house salesman guy caprioli about some batteries he sent me some pics through text. I have tried to email him multiple times and text he with no reply. This is poor service. I wouldnt recommend them. At least battery hookup will answer emails and there phone. I would rather pay more an have good service. If they want answer your emails how can you expect them to stand behind there products

I have contacted battery clearing house salesman guy caprioli about some batteries he sent me some pics through text. I have tried to email him multiple times and text him with no reply. This is poor service. I wouldnt recommend them. At least battery hookup will answer emails and there phone. I would rather pay more an have good service. If they wont answer your emails how can you expect them to stand behind there products

I have contacted battery clearing house salesman guy caprioli about some batteries he sent me some pics through text. I have tried to email him multiple times and text he with no reply. This is poor service. I wouldnt recommend them. At least battery hookup will answer emails and there phone. I would rather pay more an have good service. If they want answer your emails how can you expect them to stand behind there products

I recommend battery clearing house, also Guy who contacted me on a Sunday evening with a small concern with the BYD bought from batteryhookup. They did not respond.

I am just chipping in my personal experience. I will admit that at times it's hard to connect with him, but I just call back. Remember these guys are wholesalers not really retailers.

I spoke to him a while ago. I don't think they are at the warehouse all day. I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

Hey Matthew..
It's ok.. we will get the details about the batteries your asking about after they have been inventoried, tested, and are ready. In the future I will make sure I keep from sharing info on items we are not ready.

When you send the daily email.. i contact my guys to ask them what's taking so long. It was my mistake for not following up with you to let you know that i am still waiting as well. I had just moved on to the next questions.

We are not 100% sure what we want to do with the large battery 12volt packs that fail testing... there are still a large number of usable cells and the packs can probable be rebuilt, but we also don't want to be selling broken/nonfunctioning packs.

I am asking for me, but I guess others would like to know as well. Do you actually get to test all of these byd batteries before you ship them out?
How are they actually tested?

Yes, we test them with a voltage test. They have been in storage mode for awhile so a unit with a bad cell is easy to pick out.

Capacity testing is not practical becouse of the size of the battery and the fact that you need to cycle them multiple times over a period of time to bring them back to their greatest potential.

We have not had any returns yet on the BYD's for capacity issues. The number 1 drama is shipping these things. It's a pain because they are so heavy and require freight.

I didn't even know these were available again? I thought they were a bit cheaper back when? Damnit!

So what are the BMS options here guys? We are building a decent size bank and would need this worked out!

Last edited:
both have said they have done load tests, tech direct club has developed a 130a plug in bms.
I received by BMS today from Tech Direct. My battery is scheduled for delivery on Friday 2/14. I report how well it works.

Yes, we test them with a voltage test. They have been in storage mode for awhile so a unit with a bad cell is easy to pick out.

Capacity testing is not practical becouse of the size of the battery and the fact that you need to cycle them multiple times over a period of time to bring them back to their greatest potential.

We have not had any returns yet on the BYD's for capacity issues. The number 1 drama is shipping these things. It's a pain because they are so heavy and require freight.
I bought 4 BYD batteries from batteryhookup in early Nov. I have just been able to run capacity tests on them as I reported on the forum here. With 3 charge/discharge cycles i average about 2.8 KwH on one and 2.6 KwH on the second. This is a far cry from the 4 - 4.5 KwH that was advertised by batteryhookup. I see little evidence of increasing capacity with more charge discharge cycles. I notice on your batteryclearinghouse site you "guarantee 4 - 4.5 KwH" capacity? I need about 16 KwH total capacity for my cottage project which means now I need to buy 2 more to get to that level and you are close to me so I can pick them up. Can you really guarantee me BYD batteries that reach the 4 - 4.5 KwH capacity level? If so, what happens when I parallel a 4 - 4.5 KwH capacity battery with one that has only 2.8 KwH capacity?

More to be learned on this thread: "Average usable capacity per BYD battery: 110AH, 2.95 Kwh."
Thanks so much for the pointer, GVSolar. I just read that thread and cannot help being totally relieved with the news ... finally! These batteries can provide 2.8 KwH +/- for our use. NOT 4 - 4.5 Kwh as was advertised. I am really glad that Will it coming out strongly against this false advertising. Very gratifying. Now, whether these batteries are a good deal or not is a very different question which will depend hugely on how long they last at the 2.8 KwH capacity.

Back