diy solar

diy solar

Cheap batteries

I just watched it the other day :p The 300 ah battery seemed pretty cheap at $1299 I would like to see Will do a review on them. And to be honest im not advanced enough to build my own yet. I am very new to solar.

I ran across these batteries and was shocked at the cheap price but couldn't tell you if they are good batteries or not since i am very new to solar exploration and batteries. Lithium Iron Phosphate Deep Cycle Batteries | Chvrge LLC
Not inexpensive by any means. The market seems to be sitting at about $300-350/kwh for of the shelf ready to use lifepo batteries, but six months ago the market was at $150-200/kwh. I think the price will come down soon, but I am not holding my breath.

its amazing how all-in-one units such as MPP Solar PIP and GroWatt are now online + prebuilt batteries have come down 'some'. But you can still save A TON on large scale powerwalls if you have the time to build you're own.

The 81kwh 18650 second hand cells battery portion of my solar system to date (over last 3 years) has been aprox $165/kwh - this includes Batrium BMS / 84 longmons, all solder, wire, holders, lugs, shelves, tools (soldering irons, heat sensors, OPUS testers, etc, etc) and US Fed Tax rebate.

Its a little higher because all my 2nd hand cells were higher level from Battery Hookup ebike and modem cells, Power2Spare medical packs, and Battery Clearing House RING pack type of thing as apposed to junk/old laptop packs.

Oldest battery of 14s120p is now at 1,034 daily cycles with 40% yearly average DOD - and still going strong as far as I can tell :)

Last edited:
@OffGridInTheCity With prismatic LiFePO4 cells you can get to the same price point with less time investment compared to 18650 cells. I would say the availability of these cells opened up the DIY powerwall stuff to a lot more people.

@OffGridInTheCity With prismatic LiFePO4 cells you can get to the same price point with less time investment compared to 18650 cells. I would say the availability of these cells opened up the DIY powerwall stuff to a lot more people.
Yea - I'm a bit jealous (in a good way). Its been *major* work to process nearly 10,000 cells (and counting...) but at this point - I'm committed. I'd have to get a 2nd Batrium to mix LifePo4 with 18650. One of the challenges (for me) with 18650 that also applies to LifePo4 was expansion - e.g. getting similar cells over a span of years. Seems like so many LifePo4 purchases are still hit-mis at this source or another. Maybe that will smooth out as availability continues to increase.

One of the challenges (for me) with 18650 that also applies to LifePo4 was expansion - e.g. getting similar cells over a span of years.

You can build different batteries with different capacities and parallel them for expansion. The capacity can be different, as long as their nominal voltage is the same.

Seems like so many LifePo4 purchases are still hit-mis at this source or another. Maybe that will smooth out as availability continues to increase.

I'd say it has improved quite a bit, especially with some vendors in particular.

Back