diy solar

diy solar

Cheap battery shunt - Bayite

bralee886

Anyone have any familiarity with this product?

Amazon reviews look decent for it. I was looking to pair this with a 100ah Chins battery in my canoe. Wiring it up to monitor discharge performance so I knew how much power I am drawing.

I bought one and it sorta worked.....showed battery usage, but, when the panels started charging the batteries it showed no load.....haven't figured it out but bought the qwork and it works as it should.

I've used a couple of those very units back about 5 years ago. Just keep in mind it is not really a battery monitor. I lets you see - in real time - the voltage, current flow, and energy flow. It's kinda cool to watch, but that's about it.

"This shunt will allow you to monitor power flow in only one direction. "
I understand that but if I am still drawing current at the time the battery is being charged shouldnt it show that current? This goes the whole day with 0 until the sun goes down and then it shows discharge current again.

I understand that but if I am still drawing current at the time the battery is being charged shouldnt it show that current? This goes the whole day with 0 until the sun goes down and then it shows discharge current again.

Depends how everything is wired. When wired like a typical shunt, if loads+charging don't exceed solar, then there is no net flow out of the battery and thus no current counted.

I guess I'm not really planning on caring using this while charging as much as I am discharging it in the canoe. but if it isn't a good option, I'd be better off with this? https://www.amazon.com/AiLi-Voltmet...e5049e975478ba2a3629cc424a9658&language=en_US

Yes. Good basic monitor with NET current counting, i.e., it will only register the NET current into or out of the battery, so you won't be able to isolate your load consumption when charging is active, but with no input current, it will be a very effective discharge meter with the benefit of a % SoC value.

Back