diy solar

diy solar

Cheap chinese horizontal wind turbine, an in depth exploration.

Can't seem to find one :(

Here's what I use.
A bit rich for the typical hobbyist, but I got one when I had a contract job, and considered it a deal for something that had original MSRP $25k
I've bought a few, ranging from $2000 down to $500.

You may or may not find that one on your side of the pond.
Just a 2-channel scope would let you see one leg and compare to one other. Have to move the probes to compare all 3 combinations of 2 leads.
You also don't need 1 GHz bandwidth :)
There are some "scopes" that consist of an ADC and memory, connect with a PC. "Saleae" is one some people have used at work.
!! you would have to scale down voltage externally with resistors to use a low-voltage device like that!!

Would be nice to have differential inputs, since the wires aren't referenced to ground.
With 3-phase rectifier (6 diodes feeding Ground and Positive DC), you can reference scope ground to diode ground and monitor 2 or 3 wires prior to rectifier.

update
when running at +- 320 rpm a 14v5w 12v5w load results in;
DCv 14.6
Adc 4.6

I used multiple mmeters to do this measurement

Last edited:
But I am almost sertain now that this is not the type of alternator one needs. I am looking at car alternators having heard through the grapevine that might be an interesting venue to explore.

One way or the other I am going to get an actual alternator that can generate reasonable power at reasonable rpm's. Even if I have to wind it myself

And of course I will share the deatils if I ever do wind an actual usable alternator. Out of an open source ideallism and of course to mess with China or other scammers ;)

update
when running at +- 320 rpm a 14v5w 12v5w load results in;
DCv 14.6
Adc 4.6

I used multiple mmeters to do this measurement

14.6V x 4.6A = 67W

Is that what you got into a 12V 5W load?

So is the load a single 12V 5W light bulb, and at 4.6A it doesn't heat enough to move to normal operating state?

At any rate, 50+ watts sounds like success.
Double-check the measurements are correct.

At only 14.6V? Not much above normal automobile system voltage.
Hard to believe you get 4.6A through a bulb that should draw 0.5A

Try 2 in series, then 3 then 4. Maybe at higher voltage you'll get more watts.
Try 2 in parallel. Try 2s2p.

Clamp ammeter. Clamp isn't around anything, so "4.6A" is an erroneous reading produced by voltage applied to test leads. (IMHO)
(You're not the first here to do that. A picture tells a thousand words.)

Got a link to manual for the meter?
Is that a DC clamp meter?
Try it out, for instance clamped around battery cable of a car. Turn on parking lights, head lights, confirm what it registers.

Good progress, though. You're learning, which is the primary objective.

The guys at work and I are measuring current and voltage, but using a $5000 probe, $50,000 scope, and custom built accessories.
Reducing electrical interference in a $30M system.
We get erroneous readings too due to grounding and other issues. "common mode conversion to differential", etc.

ok, they do seem to be good at engineering.

of all wind turbines i’ve seen, that video described the best set of features available.

the pitch control mechanism and noise reduction blade design integrated to reduce lateral force and maximize power production in low wind is a nice touch. and many pole winding to reduce cogging torque ripple it seems?

thank you for sharing. even though it’s essentially a promotional video, there is plenty of good educational content in it, as well as many cool project inspiration pictures.

the outlining of the different features was actually quite informative, dealing with high wind conditions by pitching blades to reduce power generation is a really cool feature. increase power up until the safe point and then pitch off to keep forces on blades within margin.

I don't see the cap in the circuit. You need that to smooth out the AC rectified waveform into cleaner DC for accurate readings. In theory a good meter will handle this, but I don't want to guess at how your meters handles strange waveforms they where not designed to measure.

Looks like you have everything wired up right. Make sure your volt meter, the clamp one, is set to DC volts. It might be set to AC. Hard to tell from the pic. Your amp meter looks to be set to a 20m or 200m amps. It needs to be set to the 20 amp scale.

ok, they do seem to be good at engineering.

of all wind turbines i’ve seen, that video described the best set of features available.

the pitch control mechanism and noise reduction blade design integrated to reduce lateral force and maximize power production in low wind is a nice touch. and many pole winding to reduce cogging torque ripple it seems?

thank you for sharing. even though it’s essentially a promotional video, there is plenty of good educational content in it, as well as many cool project inspiration pictures.

the outlining of the different features was actually quite informative, dealing with high wind conditions by pitching blades to reduce power generation is a really cool feature. increase power up until the safe point and then pitch off to keep forces on blades within margin.
thank you for sharing. Do they have rpm vs ouput graphs with warranties attached to them?
If so I am all ears

Last edited:
thank you for sharing. Do they have rmp vs ouput graphs with warranties attached to them?
If so I am all ears
have not used the hardware before, only learned about the company for first time today from watching that video. if i find a pdf datasheet on their website i’ll try to post it here ?

have not used the hardware before, only learned about the company for first time today from watching that video. if i find a pdf datasheet on their website i’ll try to post it here ?
yes please, better not to spam. the amount af total crap that is out there is enourmous. I know of only 2 good ones that actually do what they say they do or better. Skytream and Montana. Both too large, even though considered small, to place in my property

This is a general message to everyone.
Please do not reference to unproven products. A proven product should at least have an rpm vs some kind of output graph with warranties.

I'll update the OP.

Back