Cheap Chinese junk: I'll trow my 3 Daly controllers in the garbage bin. ANGRY!!!

JoeHam

Photon Sorcerer
I think we agree here Supervstech.

I just hate to see people dismiss 48v without putting some thought into it.
 
Last edited:

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
48v you can still touch without being electrocuted being considered a safe limit.
Current kills, and 30 volts and your skin resistance will supply enough to stop your heart.
Easiest way to test is grab a live lead in each hand.
Don't go telling people that 48 volts won't kill you, it certainly will at the amperage we are talking about with these systems.
Below 30 volts, your resistance is enough to prevent that (but it will still hurt).
 

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
ANYTIME you mess with the BMS Harness Leads, disconnect the BMS !
Same if you are disconnecting Busbars on the battery assembly etc.
Failure to do so can very often result in Magic Smoke.

As for the AC DC which is dangerous... SERIOUSLY, Tesla & Edison fought that out 100 years ago.
Volts do NOT KILL, AMPS DO !
AC & DC can be safe OR dangerous - All Electricity MUST BE HANDLED WITH RESPECT !
 

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator
ANYTIME you mess with the BMS Harness Leads, disconnect the BMS !
Same if you are disconnecting Busbars on the battery assembly etc.
Failure to do so can very often result in Magic Smoke.

As for the AC DC which is dangerous... SERIOUSLY, Tesla & Edison fought that out 100 years ago.
Volts do NOT KILL, AMPS DO !
AC & DC can be safe OR dangerous - All Electricity MUST BE HANDLED WITH RESPECT !
Well, that is the general wisdom, volts will ALWAYS have enough amps to kill...

yes, static electricity in the mega volt range seems harmless because of the lack of amps present, but in fact, the reason static voltage doesn’t harm you, is because it isn’t FLOWING THROUGH YOUR HEART. It is being released or absorbed by your skin and hair.

DC, or AC voltage can kill at any VOLTAGE over about 24V.
All it takes is 39mA... the heart can be very prone to failure from electric charge passing through it.

24V is dangerous, but mostly from jerking away from a shock. 30V and up and ya really can’t let go when your body is in circuit...
DONT LET YOUR BODY BE IN CIRCUIT!
 

GSXR1000

Solar Addict
That is a nice set of answers regarding Poe shock hazards to ground... completely different from 48v battery terminal to terminal...

Trust me... 48v can and will kill you. It is very easy to prevent electrocution from it, as it isn’t grounded, and if you only handle one conductor at a time, a shock is unlikely... but 48v is well above the 28v, skin voltage shock threshold...
48 volts basically can't hurt you... i mean if you place salt water soaked pads on your chest maybe. Even OSHA say anything under 50v doesn't require PPE, now that being said the battery system have usually have massive current so burn and exploding metal and batteries is very much a hazzard
 

pjones

Solar Enthusiast
ANYTIME you mess with the BMS Harness Leads, disconnect the BMS !

Okay, I get that, but why is disconnecting the B- lead from BMS to battery *LAST* a cause of death for BMS?
 

fhorst

making mistakes so you don't have to...
Yeah, I've been posting about my negative experience with Daly the last few months.
I assume only models 100A and up are affected and their base business is as good as it used to be (the models tested by @Will Prowse )

Perhaps it's time to make a new one, about the "smart" models.
I'm happy to donate mine!

Where mine does work, it's a version 1 in 3 different hardware design the last 6 or 7 months...
One should ask why....
(@HaldorEE ... 😜😂)

Sorry to read about yet an other negative experience with +100A smart Daly models.
 

downshifter

New Member
I read that the reason the automotive world is moving to 48V and not higher because they thought that was the highest they could go and still be safe enough. Not safe, safe *enough*.
 

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
48 volts basically can't hurt you... i mean if you place salt water soaked pads on your chest maybe. Even OSHA say anything under 50v doesn't require PPE, now that being said the battery system have usually have massive current so burn and exploding metal and batteries is very much a hazzard
Wow, you've obviously not worked with telecom equipment. I'll continue to follow the instructions of my first electronics instructor, treat anything above 30 volts as deadly. Even if he was an ex-nazi, he knows what he was talking about. High current is indeed dangerous, I have personally witnessed what negative 2 volts at 500 amps can do to a screwdriver (MRI machines can use some interesting voltages and currents).
 

fhorst

making mistakes so you don't have to...
Wow, you've obviously not worked with telecom equipment. I'll continue to follow the instructions of my first electronics instructor, treat anything above 30 volts as deadly. Even if he was an ex-nazi, he knows what he was talking about. High current is indeed dangerous, I have personally witnessed what negative 2 volts at 500 amps can do to a screwdriver (MRI machines can use some interesting voltages and currents).
He is probably just fishing for reactions, and never played with anything above 12v.

I welcome him to my home and he can grab my bare + and - battery leads for 2 minutes.

He just needs to buy a one way ticket.

Hospital is about 30 minutes out, so don't worry about getting there on time.
And even if you do, hospitals are cheap here, especially compared to the states.

If he survives, I'll pay his return ticket.
(And that's not a joke)

+48 volts, we talking about solar systems with enough capacity...
Even a small setup of 100Ah@48v..
You won't hold bare + and - leads for 2 minutes in your hands.
LiFePO4 it's 51.2 nominal.
That 3.2 volts extra should not scare him off, right @GSXR1000 ?

1016Ah at the moment....
I don't have to buy that ticket...
Tonnes explaining to do for the local police, sure.
 

ArthurEld

Photon Sorcerer
I dropped a wrench the other day and shorted 48V.
A busbar melted. The screw disintegrated. And the terminal is destroyed.
About 6 nuts got welded to the studs.
I'm sure that wasn't good for any of the cells.
It took about 2 seconds.
 

Just John

Photon Sorcerer
I dropped a wrench the other day and shorted 48V.
A busbar melted. The screw disintegrated. And the terminal is destroyed.
About 6 nuts got welded to the studs.
I'm sure that wasn't good for any of the cells.
It took about 2 seconds.
Yes, I should really stop trying to convince people. I just didn't want people with zero experience to read the thread and think "everything is fine, I read it on the internet".
 

ArthurEld

Photon Sorcerer
I was zipping along using a deep socket and staying away from everything until a bunch of wires tripped me up.
The socket got welded to my ratchet.
I need to use tools covered in rubber or plastic.
 
Last edited:
Top