diy solar

diy solar

Cheap power supply for top balancing

Just John

Solar Wizard
I posted this in the tools section where it belongs, but I want to let beginners know about it, so I'll link to it here:

Please note, the Long Wei come with the best alligator clips I've seen on any 10 amp supplies, which only means they are a poor choice. If at all possible, I highly recommend 10 gauge (good quality) copper wire with crimp ring connectors, you'll get more amps and shorten what can be a lengthy process. If you are curious, I can post links for them as well.

I did this testing because a lot of people were recommending not to run a cheap Chinese power supply at the full power rating (and in general I agree with them), but this is one you can be confident will run at full rated output without killing it. I know, I tested it.

If "electronically inclined", one can build a cheap 10amp power supply :

The one uses an LM317 Regulator and the other a LM338 Regulator and a 741 op amp

The transformer and rectifier needs to handle 10-15 amps

I built mine into an old inverter box, which already had the 10 Amp Transformer I needed for the project.

Attachments

• 10AMP REGULATOR.jpg
    10AMP REGULATOR.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Solar-Battery-Charger-Circuit-Diagram.jpg
    Solar-Battery-Charger-Circuit-Diagram.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-20210713-00145.jpg
    IMG-20210713-00145.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If "electronically inclined", one can build a cheap 10amp power supply :

The one uses an LM317 Regulator and the other a LM338 Regulator and a 741 op amp

The transformer and rectifier needs to handle 10-15 amps

I built mine into an old inverter box, which already had the 10 Amp Transformer I needed for the project.
As an FYI to anyone wanting to build this:

Lots of parts missing on those schematics, transformer, bridge rectifier, and a LOT of capacitors. Probably a lot more.

Back