diy solar

diy solar

Cheap Starter Battery 24v - Can I use any Leisure Battery?

coalfield

Planning to order some LifePO4 cells from China but it will likely be months before they arrive.

In the meantime looking to by some cheap lead acids just to get my solar setup up and running.

Can I use any leisure battery, some of then are very cheap. Currently looking at 2 of these:

Which I would run in series for 24v.

Would these work? Is it a big no no?

I appreciate I will only get 65Ah usable, and plan to draw a max of around 1Kw for a short period (i.e. 30 mins) with most of the time the draw being <200W

Welcome feedback!

Yup, I run my system on the WallyWorld version of those. They're a great cheap holdover for putting a system together and handle the cold really well.

. Currently looking at 2 of these:
I do not recommend buying from this company. do a web search on 'number one batteries'

These batteries will be OK for a few led lights but will die very quickly if you use a 1000 watt inverter. Its a low cost starter battery rated at about 105 Ah at the 20 hour rate.

For the high currents you would be better with an AGM battery.

have a look at Alpha batteries,

Your idea of using lead acid will work but don't expect long life from 'leisure' batteries

note, no lead battery supplier warranty covers loss of capacity.

number one.jpg

Mike

Planning to order some LifePO4 cells from China but it will likely be months before they arrive.

In the meantime looking to by some cheap lead acids just to get my solar setup up and running.

Can I use any leisure battery, some of then are very cheap. Currently looking at 2 of these:

Which I would run in series for 24v.

Would these work? Is it a big no no?

I appreciate I will only get 65Ah usable, and plan to draw a max of around 1Kw for a short period (i.e. 30 mins) with most of the time the draw being <200W

Welcome feedback!
If during the day yes. If at night no. Not enough amp hours.

Plenty of amp hours when you only have a few hundred watts on, plus cheap and easy to increase capacity, and you are going to want to bump that up a couple more batteries. Go for a 2s/2p or 2s/3p setup if you can. Still much cheaper than Lith right up front and it fulfills the need to get something running now.

Don't let the Lith Fanboys fool you! :)

Last edited:
Back