diy solar

diy solar

Check my grounding please

mattcony

I'm close to finishing my rooftop solar install and before I call for inspection I wanted a double take on my grounding seup as its niggling me a bit. Property is 1997 in FL and we are under NEC 2017 rules.

My whole install is completed using steel boxes and EMT, all interconnected with grounding points and cables. My property ground rod as you can see in the picture is connected to the meter pan box with what looks like 6AWG solid copper. Going from the meter pan are just the regular 3 black/white/red into my main breaker panel / disconnect. I don't see a ground connecting the meter pan to the main breaker, conduit connecting everything here is PVC.
My solar ground comes out of the grey box on the right and goes into my main breaker connected to the ground bar.

Is this correct setup, is there a reason stopping me from going direct to the ground rod - it MUST go to the main panel for NEC?

1681753077668.png

The service neutral bonds the metal meter pan, no problem there. You can take your new ground(s) straight to the rod.

I would go to the ground bar in the main panel.
But it might be acceptable to go directly to the ground rod. That would be up to your inspector.
The only issue with going to the ground rod is the possibility of a failed connection due to the environmental factors. I have seen ground rod connections fail in a lot of installations. Lawn service companies are notorious for damaging them.
Cable, television, and phone service providers as well.
I wouldn't want to rely on that for my solar system grounding.

I would go to the ground bar in the main panel.
But it might be acceptable to go directly to the ground rod. That would be up to your inspector.
The only issue with going to the ground rod is the possibility of a failed connection due to the environmental factors. I have seen ground rod connections fail in a lot of installations. Lawn service companies are notorious for damaging them.
Cable, television, and phone service providers as well.

I put my ground electrode in the basement before I cemented the floor perimeter after waterproofing. I'm not too worried about the lawnmower hitting it. :ROFLMAO:

My meter and service disconnect is 100 feet away in case you were wondering.
I wouldn't want to rely on that for my solar system grounding.
If the rod was closer to the house, I'd go direct to the electrode.

I put my ground electrode in the basement before I cemented the floor perimeter after waterproofing. I'm not too worried about the lawnmower hitting it. :ROFLMAO:

My meter and service disconnect is 100 feet away in case you were wondering.

If the rod was closer to the house, I'd go direct to the electrode.
The purpose of the equipment grounding conductor is to provide a low impedance (resistance) path back to the source.
The connection to the source is the N/G bond.
Going to the ground rod is like taking a detour on the way to your destination.
That said.
If it makes the path shorter or lessons the resistance in any other way. Then it would definitely be beneficial.
If it extends, adds more resistance, or more connection/possible failure points.
I would consider it as detrimental.
It's impossible to avoid all connection issues. But it's best to limit them as much as possible.

If we are talking about the PV panels frames grounding, go straight to the rod. If you're talking about equipment grounding for various devices, then you can ground anywhere along the GEC, including the rod or the main panel.

The PV frames require an equipment grounding conductor.
Same as everything else.

The purpose of the equipment grounding conductor is to provide a low impedance (resistance) path back to the source.
The connection to the source is the N/G bond.
Going to the ground rod is like taking a detour on the way to your destination.
That said.
If it makes the path shorter or lessons the resistance in any other way. Then it would definitely be beneficial.
If it extends, adds more resistance, or more connection/possible failure points.
I would consider it as detrimental.
It's impossible to avoid all connection issues. But it's best to limit them as much as possible.
Separate structure requires a ground rod.
NEC 250.32

Back