diy solar

diy solar

Checking Lifepo4 battery capacity after purchase

Zjohn

I guess anybody buying Lifepo4 batteries from the wildly popular but perhaps not always completely trustworthy Ali[a-z]* is bothered by the fact that you need to test your batteries within a certain amount of time (14 days is standard) if you want to claim any kind of protection. Let's for a moment just assume that there IS protection.
Of course, a battery that does not charge of has obvious external damage is easy to spot. I am more worried about batteries that are sold as capacity X but actually are of capacity Y where X is (much) larger than Y, and also about large variations in capacity of the cells I plan to use.
Since I am planning to buy 32 cells of 200...280Ah, it would be quite time consuming to charge all cells individually, then discharge them to determine their capacity.
I have charging capacity for 8S cells at 200A (adjustable down) and a microcontroller system to measure all 8 cell voltages individually while charging with microvolt accuracy.
I was wondering if it might then be possible to determine the capacity by charging and discharging ONE cell, then charging it once again to the same voltage/SoC as the other cells (assuming these voltages are all the same) and then putting a 0.5C charge on 8 oif them in series. After a possibly short while, the cells with lower capacity should show higher voltages. My question is if anybody tried this approach already to test battery capacity, and if there might actually already be a mapping of delta-V to delta-Capacity out there... Ok last question is a very long shot ;-)

The middle part of the charge discharge curve is very flat and that makes using voltage in the middle part of the curve not useful. Even with precision equipment inaccuracies caused by voltage sag and surface charge would compound the inaccuracies.

Can you explain a little more? If I put 8 of the same cells with the same voltage in series, should voltage sag and surface charge not be the same for all and thus not be an issue?
I am looking for a way to speed up capacity testing. Alternatively I could parallel all cells I receive for 1 day, then discharge while logging voltage differences between cells.

Can you explain a little more?
The only way to speed up capacity testing is to use more Amps at the same voltage.Configuring the cells differently will not make a difference if the same power goes into the pack. However capacity testing the pack can be faster than testing individual cells but the result will not be any data about individual cell voltage.
Did that clarify? A deeper dive into power, volts and Amps would provide some more clarity.

Back