Chest freezer to fridge conversion setpoints?

Old_Skewler

The setup is running with no issues, just can't determine the correct setpoints to program the Temperature Controller.

Anyone with a similar chest-freezer-to-fridge setup could share their setpoints?

Compressor ON / Compressor OFF / Compressor Time Delay?

My current setup is:

- Magic Chef Chest Freezer
- Ecoglow River Pro
- Willhi Digital Temperature Controller

Attachments

• 20211011_130652.jpg
    20211011_130652.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 2

DThames

Photon Sorcerer
I would think those values are largely your option/choice. Maybe On at 38F, Off at 34F, delay 5 minutes?

efficientPV

Solar Addict
I think you will find the ones today are highly stratified now that many put cooling coils on bottom instead of top. Temperature is a nebulous thing. Things will be frozen on the bottom and too warm on top. I had to hang a small computer fan that runs all the time and that still doesn't do a very good job. I've lived with them for years and a lot of negatives.

rcrracer

Solar Enthusiast
If you set the temperatures like DThames suggested, how long are the on and off cycles?

I'm am doing the same thing with a Craigslist 15 cu ft chest freezer. Inkbird temp controller. Contactor. (Don't buy a used freezer, refrigerator off Craigslist. There will be problems.)

MurphyGuy

GOD ALMIGHTY
If you set the temperatures like DThames suggested, how long are the on and off cycles?

I'm am doing the same thing with a Craigslist 15 cu ft chest freezer. Inkbird temp controller. Contactor. (Don't buy a used freezer, refrigerator off Craigslist. There will be problems.)
I just installed an Inkbird controller on my garage freezer... That's a nice little unit for $35

I don't use it for temp control however, I set it to activate a 120 volt light and buzzer alarm if the freezer ever goes above 5 degF.. there's a lot of money in that freezer..

Going to buy 2 more of them for my two other freezers.

Old_Skewler

I think you will find the ones today are highly stratified now that many put cooling coils on bottom instead of top. Temperature is a nebulous thing. Things will be frozen on the bottom and too warm on top. I had to hang a small computer fan that runs all the time and that still doesn't do a very good job. I've lived with them for years and a lot of negatives.
Yeah, I understood from the beginning that this was an affordable solution with limitations, but it is working so far. I hope I'll be able to upgrade the fridge system in a couple of years.

Do you happen to remember the setpoints you used when you had yours? That is something more useful for me to know.

Old_Skewler

I set the controller for 32F <-> 42F and no time delay.

It does cycle but I don't have enough data yet. Also, I installed a Wattmeter and I want to see how many kWh in a couple of days running.

For less than $250, fridge and controller, and being able to run off a EcoFlow 700 is amazing for me. But eventually I'll start to notice the limitations of this setup. Right now I am happy with it.

efficientPV

Solar Addict
My setup is a little different. I have a large mass of liquids to "store cold" thru the night. My 7CF only runs in the day and only when the battery is full. That allows me to use only a car battery to power it. I believe my setpoints are 33 and 35F. Morning temp is about 40F. It has a bout a 10 minute delay. Whatever liquid you have on the bottom will freeze. Don't put cans there as they will freeze and split.

JaVid

Solar Enthusiast
My setup is a little different. I have a large mass of liquids to "store cold" thru the night. My 7CF only runs in the day and only when the battery is full. That allows me to use only a car battery to power it. I believe my setpoints are 33 and 35F. Morning temp is about 40F. It has a bout a 10 minute delay. Whatever liquid you have on the bottom will freeze. Don't put cans there as they will freeze and split.
This is an interesting solution. Do you have any idea what your average Watt-hour usage is per day? Do you use any sort of fan to avoid temperature stratification?

efficientPV

Solar Addict
I must use a fan and I don't remember what usage is anymore. Very dependent on how often you put new stuff in like drinks. I can still function with many rainy days in a row.